Smooth Tab Scroll

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mapsonx

Smooth Tab Scroll

Post by mapsonx »

For some time now when I scroll tabs with my mouse wheel, the minimum one click scroll moves a tab the length of 3 tab width positions. This corresponds to my mouse setting "Roll the wheel one notch to scroll 3 lines at a time". If I adjust the setting, the tab scroll distance corresponds accordingly.

I don't remember this being the case in the past. Am I wrong? I don't like having to compromise my preferences between line scroll and tab scroll
DanRaisch

Re: Smooth Tab Scroll

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i think its a matter of mouse driver - or that extension has a fixed value. windows is set to 3 but eg tabmix plus only jump one tab.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

It's possible that the extension you're using has been abandoned by the developer. Check the addons site to ascertain when the last update took place. If there hasn't been one during the last six months then it's likely to be one of the many which have been broken by the Firefox 55 upgrade. See: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/09/about ... -breaking/
mapsonx

Post by mapsonx »

Brummelchen wrote:i think its a matter of mouse driver - or that extension has a fixed value. windows is set to 3 but eg tabmix plus only jump one tab.
Firefox 55.03

I use Tab mix plus and Classic Theme Restorer.

There may be several things at play here. I isolated both extensions for testing and also tested without the extensions on a clean profile.

With TMP and CTR, you can set the min/max tab size; mine is 175 min, 210 max, so maybe that has something to do with our conflicting results, because, for me, the tabs will move the equal amount of spaces that I have set in my mouse wheel settings, even when I try it on a fresh profile, with no TMP or CTR.

Mouse wheel setting 1, tab moves one space, mouse wheel setting 3, tab moves three spaces.

Is everyone saying that the amount of tab scroll you experience does not correspond to the mouse wheel setting? On the fresh profile, all I did to test was create a bunch of blank tabs, default size because there was no way to alter that, and the mouse wheel setting definitely controlled the tab scroll distance.

I have the lasted and only driver for my logitech 310 wireless mouse, and like I said at the beginning, this was not the behavior in the not too distant past, I guessing within the past year.

I just found this https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... _too_fast/, apparently about a year old like I said.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Have you been able to try any adjusting in Windows control panel > mouse settings ... or what ever its called these days
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-conf ... windows-10
https://encrypted.google.com/search?sou ... GT6eZJppC8

I'm on a old laptop and Windows has total control of the pointing devices and all adjustments for them are made there
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
mapsonx

Post by mapsonx »

Hi JayhawksRock,

Windows 10 pro, desktop

From the responses, can I assume that you guys don't share my tab scroll behavior experience? As was pointed out in the link I provided, I'm not the first one to notice this. My mouse and my settings haven't changed for several years.

Perhaps you could suggest which of these settings are responsible?

These are my current settings

"Choose how many lines to scroll each time" and the "Advanced" mouse wheel scroll setting are one in the same.