Giving Up On Firefox/Mozilla

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Giving Up On Firefox/Mozilla

Post by malliz »

Hardly new the "Goodbye cruel world" posts have been going on since the forum started. OP is from Adelaide.... says it all really
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
James

Post by James »

Angelpie wrote:I'm not a drama queen, and I've been with FF since v.1.0, before some of your youngsters had even heard of the internet. I went through the HORRENDOUS v.5 (stayed on v.4 for MONTHS), and every up and down since, but ever since v.53, I've had so many problems, I've just stopped using it for most things. Like I said, I've been using this browser since v.1.0, so I know how to work it.
So as many regulars here have been using Releases of this browser before it even got to version 1.0 (not the first public Release as many mistakenly think) as it was out as Phoenix 0.1 in Sept 2002, as Firebird for 0.6-0.7 and as Firefox since it was at version 0.8

Just because you are having issues since Fx 53.0 including with 55.0 does not mean it is typical for everybody else.

Does not help that you use CCleaner to clean up Firefox settings when it can clean up its own setting just fine and safely. You have been told that you should not use CCleaner with Firefox settings in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... t=ccleaner , http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... t=ccleaner , http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... t=ccleaner
Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

Yes, I have tried EVERYTHING ever suggested to fix the problems, like I said, except refresh. Did that twice and it didn't stick.

I have to use CCleaner, or it doesn't work at all. Once it freezes up, if I don't use CCleaner, it just crashes again. Who on earth has time to go through all the steps to clean FF? And why is it that every other browser works fine with CCleaner? FF is such a damned Diva! No such problems with Chrome.

I only ever stuck with FF because of the add-ons. Most of the ones I like the best don't work now. I knew I would get attacked. I always do. There is no use asking for help here, and I don't know why I do. All of you think FF is infallible, and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry, you're wrong. Chrome is. That's why it's killing you.

Bye.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

User error is not our fault.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Angelpie wrote:Yes, I have tried EVERYTHING ever suggested to fix the problems, like I said, except refresh. Did that twice and it didn't stick.

I have to use CCleaner, or it doesn't work at all. Once it freezes up, if I don't use CCleaner, it just crashes again. Who on earth has time to go through all the steps to clean FF? And why is it that every other browser works fine with CCleaner? FF is such a damned Diva! No such problems with Chrome.

I only ever stuck with FF because of the add-ons. Most of the ones I like the best don't work now. I knew I would get attacked. I always do. There is no use asking for help here, and I don't know why I do. All of you think FF is infallible, and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry, you're wrong. Chrome is. That's why it's killing you.

Bye.
we didnt force you to ask for support here, there is Mozilla's Discourse Crap you could of gone to . i dont think Firefox is the best since sliced bread, every browser has its fair share of problems
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

TheVisitor wrote:
mightyglydd wrote:Just send them over to sumo.....
Or send them all to :locked: there are going to be hundreds of such posts in the not to far distant future.
this is the future :)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Brummelchen wrote:why cant people go silent off the stage? the forum is full with requests and issues - but the millions where firefox is proper functional are not present.
Whatever
+1
There no forum for "It's properly functional and I'm happy." In fact, not a single computer help site has one.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Frank Lion wrote:
Reflective wrote:The OP can't downgrade to ESR because he's already installed FF55: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-c ... -profiles/
Bunch of drama queens.

Of course the OP can downgrade - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14765039
You're assuming that the OP made a backup of his FF54 profile before upgrading. That hasn't been established. In the event that he didn't and most users don't, then he cannot downgrade to ESR. https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-c ... -profiles/
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1357428
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Reflective wrote:You're assuming that the OP made a backup of his FF54 profile before upgrading...
I was assuming precisely the opposite. Try reading the link sometime, instead of just hawking your old ill-informed ghacks links around.
Reflective wrote:... then he cannot downgrade to ESR
I have actually done this and know that it can be done - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14765039 perhaps you should try it, instead relying on stuff you've found on the Net. Even then, you seem to be misinterpreting what that bug is saying.

Other people (main dev of SeaMonkey) are even happy to use a less cautious approach than I used - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14765158

Seriously, when you guys get a fixed idea in your heads, there really is no shifting it, is there?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Angelpie wrote:All of you think FF is infallible, and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry, you're wrong.
All? I count three other people on this thread, besides yourself, who are not using Firefox to post here. Do they also think it's 'the greatest thing since sliced bread'?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

All of you think FF is infallible, and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry, you're wrong. Chrome is. That's why it's killing you.
Actually, I don't think that, which is why I sometimes use Vivaldi and, occassionally, Edge. And Chrome is too slow and too rigid to be "the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has more users because it's promoted by the 800 pound gorilla to users of Gmail, Google Maps, Google Docs, etc. You're logic there would make a Kia Niro a better car than a Maserati because more people drive the former. Rather a specious argument.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Angelpie wrote:...
Bye.
Since Angelpie has ended the post with "Bye", it's safe to assume that Elvis has left the building.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

mightyglydd wrote:IMIO the only ones burying their heads in the sand are those 'buying time' using 52 ESR.
Call it what you will...and why not use a working browser ... I moved over to ESR because I want all my extensions to work... plus... I will wait for a year or two... or until ESR messes stuff up... but by that time Firefox 57+ should start settling down... and maybe then or later when ESR kills itself... Extension devs. may have taken the time to get the extensions that I want/need... so, in the meantime I have a Moz-browser that works for me.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Delete: Looks like this thread has been butchered ...
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Butchered? No. Thoughtfully trimmed? Yes.