[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

85rx-7se wrote:Have a look here .. they discuss the problem you are having and what to do about it.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/edit-files- ... -password/
The comments on that page are from 6 years ago. Their tips for using Total Commander no longer work on these new .ja and .jar files.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
85rx-7se wrote:Have a look here .. they discuss the problem you are having and what to do about it.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/edit-files- ... -password/
The comments on that page are from 6 years ago. Their tips for using Total Commander no longer work on these new .ja and .jar files.
It's not the comments that are of interest, it's the python script that is there. That stands a good chance of working on this latest 'problem'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Aris

Post by Aris »

@85rx-7se
This is a different problem. We are talking about the new omni.ja compression used in current Nightly builds not release builds.

Frank referred to the corresponding bug, dealing with new zlib/brotli compression for omni.ja.
avada

Post by avada »

WildcatRay wrote:The following thought recently occurred to me. All these moves to limit the ability to customize Firefox may be because the lawyers for Mozilla convinced Mozilla that it is too risky. That is, the high level of customization posed a risk to Mozilla if, somehow, Firefox was tweaked by an add-on that allowed a hacker to access sensitive information of individuals, businesses and/or governments or to hijack the computer (ransom-ware) and the victims then sued Mozilla for damages (liability). The cost of such a lawsuit could put Mozilla out of business.
So, they're putting themselves out of business preemptively ? :)
I doubt they'll get another round of lucrative search engine, advertisement deals than they got the last time. They're already below 6 percent and there's likely to be a notable drop after 57 is released. With a 3% usage share they won't have much income... (Not that I know what they're spending all this money, it seems like there's no more than around 2-3 dozen devs active on bugzilla)
avada

Post by avada »

85rx-7se wrote:You can look here for info on how to get to the .ja files
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... _omni.jar)
Dead link.
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

Thats odd ... it was okay when I posted it.
Jack Black

Use the parentheses, Luke

Post by Jack Black »

Frank Lion

Re: Use the parentheses, Luke

Post by Frank Lion »

Jack Black wrote:Here's a valid link.
Thanks. Here's when it was last updated -
Last updated by: jswisher, Oct 15, 2015, 8:50:02 AM
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

It looks like I dropped the last ) from the link when it was copied.
morat

Post by morat »

Aris wrote:All of them can extract "some" files, but not the full package.
I tried using the last optimizejars.py file from fx 20 to deoptimize the omni.ja file - seems to work, but I got a lot of "skipping... unsupported compression method" errors when I info-zip unzipped the omni.ja file. There were only 186 extracted files with 2368 skipped files.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Using WinRAR and 7zip also extracts a few files only leaving the majority untouched. That optimizer stuff was made for "old" omni.ja files not for the new ones.
rocco.xyz

Post by rocco.xyz »

Good morning friends.

Aris, I'd like to ask you if you know the "Organize Search Engines" extension?
I know CTR it says textually "Not compatible to other search add-ons!" :mrgreen: but...
Organize Search Engines is a "Firefox extension for organizing search engines with folders and separators just like bookmarks" and it is VERY useful! :wink: but, for some reason his author Malte Kraus a.k.a Dr. Evil (who is also the developer of the popular extension Add to Search Bar) stopped its development and abandoned it (I believe it was since the implementation of the Australis interface) its page in the mozilla addons site no longer exists but Baton34 picked up the project on his GitHub repository.

I would like to briefly show you a low quality video (~359 KB) that I recorded so you could see how it works: :)
https://streamable.com/s/kfc9b/ltmoqf (I don't know how to embed the video) :-k

Currently the version 1.95.11 (latest) works well with the following extensions: And also with the last stable version of Firefox 64-bit (55.0.3), should work perfectly in the 32-bit version as well.
Unfortunately it is incompatible with your extension ClassicThemeRestorer (1.6.9.1 latest) because if you activate the checkbox 'Old search' (In Search bar > Page 1) you lose the settings for folders and separators made by Organize Search Engines.
So...
You knew the Organize Search Engines extension?
Do you think that CTR could be compatible with it? [-o<
What do you think?
rocco.xyz

Post by rocco.xyz »

rocco.xyz wrote:...if you activate the checkbox 'Old search' (In Search bar > Page 1)
hahaha, I guess you know your extension better than anyone! :lol:
Aris

Post by Aris »

@rocco.xyz
CTR and all lecagy add-ons reach end-of-life very soon (see "CTR & Firefox 57+" button on CTRs prefwindow).
"Old search" is already gone in Firefox 56 due to incompatibility with code changes in Fx56. I suggest to use Firefox 52ESR, if you really want to use mentioned add-on combination for a little longer.
ThePhenomenon

Post by ThePhenomenon »

Can you check this out please? Hopefully it's not caused by something personal.
Screenshot 1 | Screenshot 2
In one case the bookmark star column is there. In the other case it's been glitchly removed. But what's really puzzling is that it's not a proper option. It comes from toggling something (the back and forward buttons) that I would not expect to have any effect on the auto-complete menu!