Empty page when opens browser

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
talkee

Empty page when opens browser

Post by talkee »

This issue has existed quite a long time but in FF 55.x its appearance has increased exponentially (got it maybe handful times in each of pre-55s) to nearly daily occurence.

Problem is that when opens new FF-window there comes blank page w/o address bar or anything else only small part of left corner shown and after closing that window FF stays as ghost process and prevents history etc to be clreared until terminates that process. If opens new window after termination then all closed webapages while that ghost process existed are opened again.
dfoulkes

Re: Empty page when opens browser

Post by dfoulkes »

It sounds like this problem happens all the time now? ... and if that's the case... the best thing to try at first is Firefox Safe mode ... and or a best profile use as-is... then let us know the results please...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

...or...
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
talkee

Post by talkee »

Profile has been same since upgrade to Win10 for free officially ended (few times FF has been uninstalled and reinstalled to fix some error which prevented FF to start properly).

Past few days problem described in orig. post hasn't occured
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

talkee wrote:Profile has been same since upgrade to Win10 for free officially ended (few times FF has been uninstalled and reinstalled to fix some error which prevented FF to start properly).

As for uninstalling Firefox/installing it again.... did you also remove the profile...because uninstalling Firefox does not remove the profile... unless you instruct the uninstaller routine to remove data files... just for your info.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

dfoulkes wrote:
talkee wrote:Profile has been same since upgrade to Win10 for free officially ended (few times FF has been uninstalled and reinstalled to fix some error which prevented FF to start properly).

As for uninstalling Firefox/installing it again.... did you also remove the profile...because uninstalling Firefox does not remove the profile... unless you instruct the uninstaller routine to remove data files... just for your info.
That uninstall option has been gone from Firefox for quite awhile now.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

the-edmeister wrote: That uninstall option has been gone from Firefox for quite awhile now.
Thanks for that info Mr. Ed ... does it just remove the profile? ... or??

thanks.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Sorry for the delay in answering you Doug.

Yes, that option during the Windows uninstall operation removed the Profile folder in AppData, both the Roaming and possibly the Local folders; not sure about the latter though as I was running W2K at that time which iirc didn't have the Roaming & Local folders - it was all-in-one as I recall with Win98 and W2K.

Also not sure if it cleared the Windows Registry strings; I doubt it - but I only recall using that uninstall option for the Profile folders once or twice all the way back in the Nightly's when Firefox 3.0 was in development and in Beta testing. I was expecting it to remove just the Profile that was the default - it wiped the /Mozilla/Firefox/ folder with the Profiles folder and the profiles.ini file. I was lucky that I had the foresight to create a backup of that folder first before "messing with" that new option (new at that time) because it wiped a whole bunch of Profiles - like dozens. Just slid the backup into place and that was fixed. IMO Mozilla was wise to get rid of that option, but they didn't until quite awhile after the Developer Edition came out.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
talkee

Post by talkee »

well 5th open of FF56 and got what described on 1st post.