[Ext] Tap To Tab

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
em_te

[Ext] Tap To Tab

Post by em_te »

Tap To Tab 0.4.6

Summary:
Double click (double tap) on a link to open it in a new Tab. Designed for tablets and laptop trackpads, which don't have a right click mouse button.

Link:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tap-to-tab/

Description:

Designed specifically for touch-screen tablets and laptops with trackpads (which don't have a right-click mouse button), you can now double-click on a link to open it in a new background tab.

It works similar to the "open link in new tab" option in the popup menu when you right-click on a link, but this method is faster, because right-clicking is a slow process without an external mouse.

You can configure in the settings window to:
  • Focus opened tab; or open new tab in background
  • Put new tab next to current tab; or put at the end of the tab strip
  • Add a website domain to a blacklist

Picture:

Update:

A backup support thread is available here:
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/support ... lick/57486
Last edited by em_te on April 7th, 2020, 11:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Brummelchen

Re: [Ext] Tap To Tab

Post by Brummelchen »

chromium conversion ;)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... podkdgcodd

works also with a double mouse click.
sepiabrown

Post by sepiabrown »

Not working in firefox android version 57. Device is galaxy tab 10.1 with s pen. Hope you can fix!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

meanwhile installed in my second profile where it is more usable than "right click to open new tab", no conflict between my userscript (violentmonkey)
Scribe_uk

Post by Scribe_uk »

Don't be misled by its name; double clicking with a mouse works equally well. This is a very good replacement for https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... blclicker/ which I understand from its developer won't be migrated to WebExtensions.

The only thing I can add, is that it would be even better if the double click speed could be made adjustable, since I find it a little fast, but that is in no way intended as a criticism!

Thanks for a really useful add-on.:D
ortega

Post by ortega »

Hi. Is it possible to get an option to open links in background in default order? Normally, without this extension new links open in background tabs like this by pressing ctrl+click:

[a][1][2][3][c]

And if I open the links with Tap to Tab the order is like this:

[a][3][2][1][c]

[a][c] are the current opened tabs with [a] being the current tab and [1] [2] [3] are the new tabs opened in that order.

Thanks for the addon.
Przemix

Post by Przemix »

I agree to that. This extension bypass the new-tab-behaviour settings. Please change that or give us ability to chose where the new tab opens.
It is strange that middle button link clicking gives me different results that doubleclicking
sarossell

Post by sarossell »

Excellent add-on! Great work. Thank you. However, I must agree with Przemix and Ortega. Please consider either supporting default Firefox tab order function or include options to select tab open order. Currently, the new tabs open next to the original in spite of the Firefox setting "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent" set to False. Personally, I prefer all new opened tabs to open at the end of the tabs.
moztime

Post by moztime »

Installed this add-on today and it works great, until I went to check my emails. On my Yahoo email account, whenever I go to click on the check boxes in the left most column, the ones you generally use to select emails for group delete etc, it opens the email instead of checking the box. On my Gmail and Outlook email accounts it doesn't cause any problems, but on Yahoo email I had to disable the add-on to use those check boxes.

Tap To Tab 0.3.3
Firefox Quantum 59.0.1 (64 bit)
Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
em_te

Post by em_te »

moztime wrote:Installed this add-on today and it works great, until I went to check my emails. On my Yahoo email account, whenever I go to click on the check boxes in the left most column, the ones you generally use to select emails for group delete etc, it opens the email instead of checking the box.
I've added a blacklist feature for you.
Przemix

Post by Przemix »

Hi again, thanks for adding "Where" in settings!
But I discovered, that your addon causes a bug with other extension: "Drag-Select Link Text" by Kestrel. It occurs only when Tap To Tab is active: selecting a text in links, for example in google search results, selects a link, but when you release a mouse button it is registered as a click and opens a link instead of doing nothing. Kestrel send me to you
sdsmcintyre

Post by sdsmcintyre »

The double click speed is too fast for me. I don't see any option to adjust it. It does not seem to use the double mouse click value in the registry either. Otherwise it works well to replace some of the functionality the new improved Firefox lost. I use it with a mouse.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

extension obeys firefox setting
https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/1042479
sdsmcintyre

Post by sdsmcintyre »

That count value does not exist in my 59.0.2 installation. Anyway, the extension should use the OS (registry) value to keep overall system operation consistent.
fffan19

Post by fffan19 »

This excellent addon hasn't been working for me the past few weeks. Latest FF beta on Android, Samsung tablet running Android 8.0

Installed non-beta FF, but the addon not working with it either.

I cannot browse on a tablet without this essential addon :(