Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mouse5

Re: Changes in Firefox 57

Post by Mouse5 »

anyway this is going offtopic, keep it on firefox57 related stuff only, take the talk elsewhere
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I have a factor concerning switching browsers that maybe no one here thought of: Support.
Good point, a 'certain member' wrote an excellent post about 'one man operations' ;)
Vivaldi has excellent support, a forum where devs actually visit and react to users.
Heck they even implemented one of my suggestions..rapidly! :shock:
PM forum?....one man's bully pulpit.
@On Topic....Will Fx 58 follow Fx 57 or will it become FxP(hoton)2 ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I thought about switching to Vivaldi for a time. But then I found out that the cookie/local storage manager was even more garbage than Firefox.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

I'm not as hostile to Chrome now that I've added Quick n Clean so that it has the option to clear the cache on exit, and FileZilla is sure fast, even if it has to be run separately and takes up space. Not my preferred outcome, but I guess come November I'll see what still works.
avada

Post by avada »

mightyglydd wrote:Heck they even implemented one of my suggestions..rapidly! :shock:
Bah... Mine is the opposite. They ignored outright regressions (compared to chrome) I reported. Such as you can't drag and drop anywhere but the new tab button or ON a tab (not between.) Drag and drop for local files doesn't work at all...
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

be careful with "click&clean" (not quick n clean)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... mamedcbeod
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/clickclean/

the firefox version is much outdated, it was auto-signed and got no update (March 6, 2013)
firefox can do such cleaning itself. same for chrome

for the chrome version i am not sure if it sends some telemetry to google-analytics.com - code is included.
i recommend chrome cleaner pro
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ccjcacackp
it dont contain google-services - the only conenction is when checking "unwanted" extensions which are check on their homepage (opt-out)

loosing your passwords is a pity but i would bet that is not fault of firefox - i never lost any.
lastpass i wont trust - it was vulnerable twice and the current v4 seems a reduced evrsion, some people stayed with latest v3.

currently firefox 57 is an experiment - i work with v55 or chromium as long it is not ready or stable beta. changing every day. i am experiencing converted extension, with less results because API is not ready yet.
Edds

Post by Edds »

Just curious, is there any bug regarding improving a new tab page loading starting time? If you know what I mean. When I click on the bookmark to open a page on the new tab there is circa 2-3 seconds where nothing is happening, no establishing connection or something. I think it has something to do with creating a child process. It is a lot faster, almost instant when I'm loading a different page on already opened tab.
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

I appreciate the recommendation. Just to be clear, though, I didn't lose Firefox passwords because of a bug, but it is the fault of Firefox all the same. That is, on the assumption that I shall no longer be able to use Firefox once it dumps all my add-ons, of which I have six even apart from Lastpass, every one of them "legacy." I'm still outraged, but resigned. I thus needed to import my passwords into Chrome, and a free password manager like Lastpass that could talk between them seemed the obvious solution. Naturally it deletes Firefox's saved passwords once you install it. In any case, it's done. It also has the advantage that it saves passwords for a couple of sites designed so that Firefox wouldn't save them, plus I now have for personal reference and backup a csv file listing them that not even a hack of my entire computer is all that likely to locate.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/21/greas ... atibility/ Greasemonkey 4: Firefox 57 compatibility
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

Guys can someone explain to me this trend. New WE extensions are released in alpha, beta or final stage they claim 57+ compatibility but on AMO they are with version limitation 56.* - Greasemonkey, a few days ago NTT also ...?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

WE are present and usable more or less since firefox 48
avada

Post by avada »

JOJ0 wrote:Guys can someone explain to me this trend. New WE extensions are released in alpha, beta or final stage they claim 57+ compatibility but on AMO they are with version limitation 56.* - Greasemonkey, a few days ago NTT also ...?
You mean that they are labeled by AMO as 57 compatible. They probably do that for all WE based addons automatically.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

avada wrote:
JOJ0 wrote:Guys can someone explain to me this trend. New WE extensions are released in alpha, beta or final stage they claim 57+ compatibility but on AMO they are with version limitation 56.* - Greasemonkey, a few days ago NTT also ...?
You mean that they are labeled by AMO as 57 compatible. They probably do that for all WE based addons automatically.
No I mean that these cannot be installed in 57 or 58 because are not marked in the version support. Maybe a release compliance issue right now.