FF57 looking up for me

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: FF57 looking up for me

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry, i dont consider me as a teacher so i dropped a link. it is one matter to tell people, its another to fill it with experience.
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

Aris wrote:
Nightly > Tools > Web Developer > Browser Toolbox (or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I)

https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme ... issues/365
Things possible in Firefox 57+ (by using code tweaks in userChrome.css)
Confirmed working at the moment;
*[Tabs] tabs not on top: tabs toolbar after navigation and bookmarks toolbars*
I'm not going to pretend I understand everything over at your developer's forum but all I want for Firefox is that it allows my tabs to be NOT on top, connected to the web pages I'm working on while it uses my desktop colours and not go on its own like Opera and Chrome do. Next, enhanced security like ad blocking and script blocking that I had with the XUL extensions. It may be too much to ask these days to get the appearance of Fx to look like the old FF v2.3, or 4. In testing alternatives, and going nuts at the same time, in that two of the browsers tested don't play well with YouTube, hence my only use for Chrome is just that, like I only use Opera to get my weekly shopping flyers because the newspaper deliveries have ceased in my neck of the woods. The latter seems to work best at the site SmartCanucks.ca. You know, everyday crap. There are two persistent P.I.T.A.[s] cpm20.com and 35.188.14.213 ad-bots that keep pushing their way around those alternatives unless I get down and go manual, entering them in the blacklisting dialogue of two I'm testing, would rather stick with Firefox and the current NoScript but as I said elsewhere, have the ESR and the Regular/stable running parallel, after tweekin the "AllowMultipleInstances" to true in the regular, to observe changes and to try out any WEs others may recommend.

Perhaps someone on this board {if it hasn't been done already} should create a thread where various users and members can post their tests of WEs that are coming. Likes and dislikes, especially for old geezers like me who are sticking with W7 because it has the old 2000Pro/XPPro theme that can be coloured and font bashed to look like the old 12-14 themes that came within those old packages, like me and "Maple". Which is the nice thing about two of the browsers I'm testing, they still work for those other holdouts using XP.
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

JodyThornton wrote:I actually like the Photon interface. userChrome editing allows me to place the tab bar underneath the address bar. And the performance is terrific. So now I have a classic-styed browser in terms of placement, but modern in terms of look.
Screenshot please? Been a geek since 1980 but don't understand what you did.
Though I'll wait until FF regular [John Haller's portable version] updates in the Suite and see if I can replicate what you guys are doing.
{Gimme a hint,please!} userChrome editing is still new to me, eventhough tinkering with .ini files and profile folders are not.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@Mudder
userChrome.css is a file you can add custom css code to (like Stylish add-on, just in one file and with slightly less power in some cases).

You quoted one link to Github where I posted the screenshot results of my experiments. These tweaks will be posted on Github once Firefox 57 gets closer to its release date.
All UI modifications are just experiments to demonstrate what works at the moment.
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

Thank You Aris, for explaining. Will be waiting with bated breath.
Last edited by Mudder on September 10th, 2017, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Mudder wrote:Thank You Aris, for explaining. Will be waiting with baited breath.
What do you use for "baited breath," worms perhaps?

Bated breath: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Aris wrote:userChrome.css is a file you can add custom css code to (like Stylish add-on, just in one file and with slightly less power in some cases).
...or slightly more, if you include the ability to easily use real images instead of base64 stuff. Still, I'm biased, I've always liked userChrome.css.

Also, with any browser, including Firefox 57, let's not forget how useful bookmarklets can be, as well. For example, bookmark any page and show it on the Bookmark Toolbar. Now right click it and select Properties and enter the following under Location -

Code: Select all

javascript:void(function(){window.scroll(0,0)}())
Congratulations! You have just created a bookmarklet. Oh, while you have Properties open, you might want to change that bookmark's name to 'Back to Top'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

John Liebson wrote:
Mudder wrote:Thank You Aris, for explaining. Will be waiting with baited breath.
What do you use for "baited breath," worms perhaps?

Bated breath: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html
OK, smart ass, I was using one of the test browsers, in a hurry, if you check the identifier line.
It lacks spell and grammar checker, requires that you convert the Hunspell dictionaries, which I haven't
done yet due to time constraints. Still got about nine months to go before needing to decide whether
to jump ship or stick with FF and WEs.

https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/wiki/Spell-Check

Spell Check
David Rosca edited this page on 7 Feb · 5 revisions

Spell Check

Spell checking is available in QupZilla starting from 2.1 version when built with QtWebEngine 5.8. Currently, it supports only basic functionality and also needs custom format of dictionaries.

Dictionaries

Dictionaries needs to be in special format that uses Chromium, with suffix .bdic. QtWebEngine 5.8 comes with utility to convert Hunspell dictionaries (.dic) to this format.

qwebengine_convert_dict /path/to/hunspell/dict.dic /output/path/to/created.bdic
Created bdic dictionaries then needs to be moved to one of the directories shown in the Preferences.
Windows download: qwebengine_convert_dict.exe (needs to be in same directory as QupZilla - it uses same libraries)
Missing features
Currently, as of QtWebEngine 5.8, following useful features are missing:
add words to custom dictionary
change path from which dictionaries are loaded

Extra work that some one recently posted elsewhere that, the 'average user' wouldn't be interested in doing. However, to a point, I like to tinker with things, like I once did with 2000, using the 5.1 kernel and various tweeks presented on another board. Then I got tired and jumped to W7 just four years ago, rather than the ten or so its been available.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Also wrong.

Might help if 'expert' sites, and others, had actually read Shakespeare before erroneously quoting from it, as the Bard n'er wrote that.

In the original text of The Merchant of Venice, the line actually reads -

'With 'bated breath and whispering humbleness'

i.e. he used the contraction (short form) of abate, probably because it reads more smoothly. No big deal unless you, as they do, try to quote it as original source and, er, get it wrong.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Frank Lion wrote:
Also wrong.

Might help if 'expert' sites, and others, had actually read Shakespeare before erroneously quoting from it, as the Bard n'er wrote that.

In the original text of The Merchant of Venice, the line actually reads -

'With 'bated breath and whispering humbleness'

i.e. he used the contraction (short form) of abate, probably because it reads more smoothly. No big deal unless you, as they do, try to quote it as original source and, er, get it wrong.
At the risk of continuing this aside, which I expected would be only my original post, your quote is precisely what is shown in the link I provided, namely "...With bated breath and whispering
humbleness," so it is rather wrong to state that the link was itself wrong. The link states that this is from "The earliest known citation of the phrase is from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, 1596:".

I hope that this aside will now be cast aside; I, for one, am now an outcast from this thread.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

John Liebson wrote:At the risk of continuing this aside, which
Put your glasses on, John, and read my post again?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Locking as we are off the subject.

May reopen when FF57 is released unless 57b is heading in the wrong direction.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6