Question about Firefox and proxies.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kurt2121

Question about Firefox and proxies.

Post by kurt2121 »

Hi

Sort of a weird question, but did firefox always just use the default proxy settings from IE? I always thought they were separate.

"By default, Firefox uses the proxy settings that are set in Windows or Internet Explorer. However, you can also set individual proxy settings that apply only to Firefox"

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set- ... rs-windows

So was this always the case with firefox?
the-edmeister

Re: Question about Firefox and proxies.

Post by the-edmeister »

As far back as I can remember Firefox has used Use system proxy settings as the default in Connection Settings. And that is a Windows operating system preference and not necessarily for IE, although being that IE is built into the operating system if you change for IE and in IE it changes it for the operating system and will affect user installed web browsers that default to system settings.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
kurt2121

Post by kurt2121 »

therube wrote:Image
Don't they all have the option to set a different proxy, though? (unless I'm missing something obvious you are trying to point out to me) Does it say anything in that version about using the Windows proxy settings as default unless you manually put your own in?
therube

Post by therube »

In FF 1.5.0.9, one of the top two items would be default (not sure which offhand).
And you are also given the ability to "choose your own" (Manual).

And yes, most likely every version of FF has had the same abilities, again with one of the top two being defaulted.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript