Bookmarks don't stay sorted A-Z.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Codec

Bookmarks don't stay sorted A-Z.

Post by Codec »

I am using firefox 55.0.3 and when I click show all bookmarks then go to the bookmarks menu and select sort by name or sort A-Z, they don't stay sorted.
the-edmeister

Re: Bookmarks don't stay sorted A-Z.

Post by the-edmeister »

In the Library window Views > > A to Z Sort Order is temporary - it last for only as long as the Library window is open. Close the Library window and that sort order is gone.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/so ... ng-by-name
"Sort" there is Sort By Name for each folder and that doesn't sort within each individual folder; each folder can be sorted separately per folder.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Bookmarks will remain sorted alphabetically if you right click the bookmarks menu in the sidebar (Ctrl+B) and choose Sort By Name.
Codec

Post by Codec »

the-edmeister wrote:In the Library window Views > > A to Z Sort Order is temporary - it last for only as long as the Library window is open. Close the Library window and that sort order is gone.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/so ... ng-by-name
"Sort" there is Sort By Name for each folder and that doesn't sort within each individual folder; each folder can be sorted separately per folder.

When you right click on a folder in the bookmarks menu nothing happens and when I click sort by name it only sorts temporally.
railfan-eric

Post by railfan-eric »

I have had bookmark problems the last few days. not only does all the 50+ bookmarks i spent an hour on resync back onto my computer all over again as usual, but now everything is out of order. all the folders are scramble out of order. it's awful. i spent forever fixing it. ended up going back several days on the backups. now i get on my computer and it's messed up again. i'm so mad. what is wrong? what do i do? I"m not sure when the problem started before i noticed it. i can't remember when the last update installed.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

railfan-eric,

If you are using Sync make sure you disconnect all your devices from the Sync server before sorting your bookmarks. When you're done rearranging bookmarks connect back to Sync, so all your changes get sent to the Sync server all at once.

Codec,
You're not following that support article that I hyperlinked.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
railfan-eric

Post by railfan-eric »

the-edmeister wrote:railfan-eric,

If you are using Sync make sure you disconnect all your devices from the Sync server before sorting your bookmarks. When you're done rearranging bookmarks connect back to Sync, so all your changes get sent to the Sync server all at once.

Codec,
You're not following that support article that I hyperlinked.
Thanks. I"m not sure what got them all mixed up in the first place but will do on the sync next time. it always seems like it overwrites my changes with the copies from the other computer and devices. So you're saying i have to sort the bookmarks on each device manually then sync or just sort them on the main computer then sync them all?
hoohaa

Post by hoohaa »

Here's an addon, SimpleSort Bookmarks, that I use to autosort my bookmarks. Works great.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

railfan-eric wrote: Thanks. I"m not sure what got them all mixed up in the first place but will do on the sync next time. it always seems like it overwrites my changes with the copies from the other computer and devices. So you're saying i have to sort the bookmarks on each device manually then sync or just sort them on the main computer then sync them all?
My guess is that the Places database became slightly corrupted on one or more devices and the Sync server exacerbated the corruption when attempting to "fix the database" on the server, which sync'd the corruption to each connected device - compounding the problem.

Oh, and if you have a Mobile device on that Sync account - Firefox for iOS or Firefox for Android - stop using it with Sync until the corruption is fixed and Sync works properly. An issue with Places corruption caused by / created by Sync seems to have "reared its ugly head" back in / around May 2015 when Sync was modified for the upcoming release (at that time) of a new version of Firefox for iOS and changes were made for the Android build of Firefox. IMO (non-expert opinion) that is where the corruption begins - in that modified code on the Sync server, which affects non- iOS or Android devices even if an Android or iOS device was never connected to the Sync account.
But corruption of Places isn't restricted to using Sync on those devices / Operating Systems - it happens on desktop / laptops devices only, too.
---------------------------------------------------------------

You should run Places Maintenance on each device. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... intenance/

It shouldn't be necessary be necessary to sort them manually on each device - the main thing is to disconnect the device where you are doing the sorting from the Sync server while you are sorting. Sync will send each change - moving a bookmark to a different folder, adding a new bookmark or deleting a bookmark to the Sync server real time. I have watched a new bookmark appear on a 2nd device like a second after I save a new bookmark on the first device; same when deleting a bookmark and when moving a bookmark to a different folder or creating a new folder.

At some point Firefox will stop sending each change all by itself and start sending the changes in batches when the user hesitates or waits longer to do the next change. I have absolutely no idea what the "delay time" is or if it is a "data count" - and I haven't found any spec or preference in the source code, but I don't look as deep as I would have 10 to 12 years ago due to the scarcity of developer comments within the source code vs. when Netscape was "in charge". Code written in the 90's was easily understood due to the developer comments, something that Mozilla developers don't seem to do at all (from what I have seen).
That is why I recommend that the devices be disconnected from Sync when "sorting" or re-arranging bookmarks; let Sync absorb the changes all at once rather than "dribs'n'drabbles" of data.

OK- one last thing when "sorting" or re-arranging bookmarks. Keep an eye on the Windows Task Manager CPU meter (Task Manager minimized so the CPU meter show in the System Tray) - after doing an operation to sort or re-arrange bookmarks wait until the CPU meter drops to a low level before making anymore changes. Give Firefox some time to "digest" the changes you just made. This is not a "Sync-thing", it is related to SQLite databases and the manner in which they store data, IMO. I had issues with Places seeming to need some time to "digest" changes long before Weave / Sync ever came about. Push changes too fast and "you" can corrupt or lose your own data. Better now than in 2008 to a large degree, but there is still some lag when you're dealing with a large number of bookmarks and a large amount of browsing history / doenloads history.