Looking For An XPI File — Bug 892485 by White Alice0775

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
albaron

Looking For An XPI File — Bug 892485 by White Alice0775

Post by albaron »

Hi,

Bug 892485 (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=892485) causes the History panel to scroll back to the top if you select a link from it, e.g. from half-way down, which makes searching one’s browsing history next to useless. There was an add-on written by White Alice0775 to fix this called Bug892485_PreventScrollOnHistory (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... crollonhi/), but he has removed all his add-ons from the Mozilla Store.

Has anyone got a copy of the add-on’s XPI file which they could post for me to download, or email to me? Thanks in advance.
Reflective

Re: Looking For An XPI File — Bug 892485 by White Alice0775

Post by Reflective »

There's a simple workaround for that problem which is to right click the link you want to open and click "Open in new tab". The list will remain at the point you reached and won't jump to the top again.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

1. Install userChromeJS. Restart Firefox.
2. Save this userChrome.js file into <profile folder\chrome> (if you don't know where is your profile folder, open about:support).
3. The same with these two files, save them in chrome folder inside your profile folder:
https://github.com/alice0775/userChrome ... roll.uc.js (for history sidebar)
https://github.com/alice0775/userChrome ... roll.uc.js (for full history in Library)
4. Restart Firefox again.

Done.
albaron

Post by albaron »

@ pintassilgo:

Thanks for the advice, I tried your idea but it did not work. I'm running FF52 ESR. I'm not a programmer, but there are two possible reasons that I suspect for the failure:
(a) Reading the text of Alice0775's .js files, there are references to Version 0.8 of userChromeJS, whereas the latest [signed] version that I installed was Version 2.0. Alice0775's code was written four years ago.
(b) I only installed userChromeJS 2.0, and Alice0775's .js files refer to Sub-Script/Overlay Loader v3.0 — perhaps I need to install this as well?

I'm new to userChrome.js, but reading the relevant thread on here, and testing a completely different code snippet dating from 2009, there's no doubt they do go out of date and stop working. Any ideas gratefully received.

@ Reflective:

I'm afraid that Right Click > "Open In New Tab" does not work and never has.
therube

Post by therube »

(When I looked at it yesterday, my thought was that the code was so old... no telling if it would still work in current FF, or even FF 52.
I didn't actually try it.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Right Click > "Open In New Tab"
using esr you could install tabmix plus which has all options when to open a new tab (or not) from input, bookmark or history.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

albaron wrote:
@ Reflective:

I'm afraid that Right Click > "Open In New Tab" does not work and never has.
If you just scroll through the list and then right click and "Open in new tab" then yes, it will jump to the top again. But not if you use the Search field first. All you need do in that respect is to type a few characters which correspond to the subject you're searching for. Those results will remain in place no matter how many times you choose to open each of them in a new tab.

P.S. I'm also using ESR 52.3.0
albaron

Post by albaron »

Reflective wrote:
If you just scroll through the list and then right click and "Open in new tab" then yes, it will jump to the top again. But not if you use the Search field first. All you need do in that respect is to type a few characters which correspond to the subject you're searching for.
You're quite right, of course. It's about the only practical way one can search History.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

albaron wrote:@ pintassilgo:

Thanks for the advice, I tried your idea but it did not work. I'm running FF52 ESR. I'm not a programmer, but there are two possible reasons that I suspect for the failure:
(a) Reading the text of Alice0775's .js files, there are references to Version 0.8 of userChromeJS, whereas the latest [signed] version that I installed was Version 2.0. Alice0775's code was written four years ago.
(b) I only installed userChromeJS 2.0, and Alice0775's .js files refer to Sub-Script/Overlay Loader v3.0 — perhaps I need to install this as well?

I'm new to userChrome.js, but reading the relevant thread on here, and testing a completely different code snippet dating from 2009, there's no doubt they do go out of date and stop working. Any ideas gratefully received.
I use it flawlessly in Fx 56.

(a) I use userChromeJS 2.0 from the official site: http://userchromejs.mozdev.org/. The purpose of the extension is to run JS code from profile/chrome/userChrome.js file.
(b) Installing userChromeJS 2.0 is the first step, after that you should replace the profile/chrome/userChrome.js file by the Sub-Script/Overlay Loader v3.0.48mod (2nd step of my previous post). This script will load all .uc.js and .uc.xul files from profile/chrome folder, including patchForBug892485.historySidebarScroll.uc.js and patchForBug892485.LibraryScroll.uc.js that you downloaded in the third step of my previous post. And don't forget to restart Firefox after that.

Recorded screen:
https://i.imgur.com/fpqvDy3.gifv

P.S.: Alice0775 is still active here.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that you can use a New Private Window and open the history sidebar in this window to prevent Firefox from creating a new history entry (Firefox only shows the most recent visit).