Desperate Issue with SeaMonkey 2.48 on Mac with no Email

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Curland

Desperate Issue with SeaMonkey 2.48 on Mac with no Email

Post by Curland »

Today, all of the sudden, and I didn't make any changes to my SeaMonkey or my Mac, I'm getting the following error message and don't know how to correct it:

Unable to establish TLS connection to POP3 server. The server may be down or may be incorrectly configured. Please verify the correct configuration in the Server Settings for your mail server in the Account Settings window and try again.

And, I got an earlier message with regard to:

RETR Command

Can anyone PLEASE help me???
DanRaisch

Re: Desperate Issue with SeaMonkey 2.48 on Mac with no Email

Post by DanRaisch »

Close the email module of SeaMonkey. Log into the email account using the browser and review and then delete the oldest message not yet downloaded to SeaMonkey. Launch the email module and see if that resolves the issue.
Curland

Post by Curland »

Dan, I'm not sure that I follow. Can you elaborate?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

With SeaMonkey's email module closed, log onto the web mail page of whoever provides your email service (the account in SeaMonkey). Identify the oldest message in the server inbox that is not available in SeaMonkey. After reading that message, either delete the message or move it to a server folder other than the inbox. Launch SeaMonkey's email module and see if the messages are downloaded.
Curland

Post by Curland »

Dan,

I tried to do what I thought you might mean and it worked. I so, so appreciate you helping me with this. Can you explain what causes this to happen that affected my email messages coming in and getting those error messages I mentioned in my initial post?

You really saved the day!!!! I was so stressed out that this happened and had no idea why?

take care,

Jim
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sometimes a message arrives to the server with a malformed header (the elements like date, sender, addressee, etc.) SeaMonkey should be able to deal with some level of malformation but can "choke" on the problem and not download that message, nor does it try to download the message behind that one in the queue. Moving that message out of the inbox folder or deleting it allows SeaMonkey to work with the next message in line and very often resolves the problem.

The retry command referred to SeaMonkey's trying, unsuccessfully, multiple times to complete the download of the message.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I don't see how a borked message on the server could cause a failure to make a TLS connection, so I think that was a separate issue. There's a good chance that was just as the error message suggested - - the server was down temporarily.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers