SOLVED - Email contacts list -- imported misplaced info

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
BruceAWittmeier

SOLVED - Email contacts list -- imported misplaced info

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I have imported email addresses and they exist and with the correct email address. But do not show up in the proper column in the listing. IE: the email address only shows after I click the name, then it shows below the dialog box. The fields are almost all blank but some info is there.

Fields are blank but information under the window is correct.
https://i.imgur.com/pmozFzd.jpg

I'm new to Thunderbird and have lots to learn. Nickname is a column I use to collect like groups.

I believe I had some wrong titles for the various columns when I did the import from a .csv file. I fixed the header/titles and it seems ok for now.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Re: Email contacts list -- imported misplaced information

Post by DanRaisch »

It sounds as though the arrangement of the imported data did not match order of the fields in the Thunderbird address book. I find it helpful to manually create a record in a new, otherwise empty address book and then export that book to a CSV file. Loading that file into a spreadsheet and loading the data to be imported into a second spreadsheet allows for comparison of the order of fields. For instance, the first 8 columns in the TB address book are:

First Name, Last Name, Display Name, Nickname, Primary Email, Secondary Email, Screen Name, Work Phone, etc. etc.

If the data to be imported doesn't match that order one can wind up with a populated address book that doesn't work with TB's auto-complete or may not "work" at all.

I know that the import process displays a tools for aligning columns but at times it seems to be less than perfect in its execution.
BruceAWittmeier

Re: SOLVED - Email contacts list -- imported misplaced info

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Both, thank you. It looks much better now.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Re: SOLVED - Email contacts list -- imported misplaced info

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Glad that helped.