How to end old email a/c and start new

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Starlite

How to end old email a/c and start new

Post by Starlite »

HI,

With 52.3 and Win 10 1703.

We have had a/c for years with many folders which we want to keep.

This a/c has now stopped due to change of ISP and we now have a new ISP and new email a/c.

Mail is in and out fine fort he new a/c but I have noticed that we are getting messages that TB cannot connect to the original a/c.

This would be true because it has been closed.

How can I stop this connection but keep all the folders etc. please?

Thanks

oz
tanstaafl

Re: How to end old email a/c and start new

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you move all of the folders to "Local Folders" (its a special account) until you figure out whether or not you want to merge the old mail into your new account or not. If a folder with the same name already exists, move the contents instead. Then empty the trash and delete the account (select the account you want to remove in tools -> account settings and then select account actions -> remove account).

Now is a good time to consider whether you want to keep using a ISP as your email provider since you're going to have to notify people of the new email address anyways. ISP's tend to be poor email providers since mail is just a cost center to them. I suggest you consider using Gmail instead. They have stopped scanning messages in order to personalize ads, have a large inbox, and do a very good job blocking spam. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

To start I agree with you about ISP addresses. We have many many address for ourselves and clients all redirecting to the one (ISP) which we access all day.

I will look into redirecting to gmail instead as you suggest.

I am not sure what to move so am listing the folders as they appear in the tree.

I mainly want to keep the old intact so if I need to revisit then I can.

I don't particularly need it with the new account though.

New Acount name
Inbox
Drafts
Sent
Trash

Local Folders This is the old account
Inbox
Drafts
Templates
Sent
Archives
Junk
Trash
Outbox
Folders (with many subs within this)
Then many folders under this
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Any help here please?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've explained how to move/merge the folders. Only you can decide if for some reason you don't want to migrate some of the old mail. If you can't figure out what is worth saving I suggest you migrate all of your old mail. You can always delete some afterwards if you change your mind.