need help IDing lockout program

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rickety_goodman

need help IDing lockout program

Post by rickety_goodman »

Something is locking out my mouse and keyboard when I try to use FF(52.3.0).
I'm submitting this using Chrome and having no problems.
Even if I start FF in safe mode, something is locking out my keyboard for at least 20 seconds
before I can even get "http:" entered on the address bar.
If I patiently enter the URL for Google, I can't get two words entered in the search box without
having to wait for whatever is locking my keyboard entries to quit.
And that is in safe mode.!!!
What is puzzling is that if I use control-alt-delete to dump out of FF and re-boot my computer,
it performs very well for a while. But it's getting to the point that I can't leave my computer
on for more than a day without rebooting.
I have data-logging and control programs which have to be reinitialized and corrected whenever
they're rebooted so that data continuity is sacrificed whenever rebooting is necessary.
(I would give up on FF entirely except that every time I use Chrome, SuperAntiSpyWare finds
hundreds of tracking cookies.)
I'm running "MemInfo" because it allows me to one-click see what the top 25 memory users are
and I've tried using "Procmon" but it only works well full-screen.
Does anyone know of a program that runs in the clock tray that I can click on to tell me what
program or process the CPU is actually running when there is no disk activity, no network activity,
no USB activity, but NOTHING responds because the hour-glass is stuck on?
Again, I can get SOME usability out of FF for awhile by rebooting my computer, but that is very
cumbersome.
(Now it's time to use SASW to remove all the tracking cookies...)
Thanks
BruceAWittmeier

Re: need help IDing lockout program

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

If it were me the first thing I would work on why your PC temporarily freezes. This may cure a lot of issues.

I don't see where you indicate your means of internet connectivity. Wire/Router/Wifi/Mifi or modem?

I would also turn off/uninstall the SuperAntiSpyWare. You may feel you need this but there are other programs that really do work and are free.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I also have SuperAntiSpyWare in here but it doesn't run all the time... it's the free version so it's not messing with my running system... just saying... maybe the OP purchased the upgrade to run all the time...

...also rickety_goodman ... how may AV products do you have running in there all the time... if more that one... what are they?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

^ SAS Free +1
rickety_goodman wrote: I'm running "MemInfo"
This? http://www.carthagosoft.net/MemInfo.php ..'built in memory defragger!' Hmmmmmmm.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Process Hacker or Process Explorer.
If your computer is actually freezing up, entirely, at least for a period of time, I'd suspect they to will be unavailable until the event subsides.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rickety_goodman

BruceAWittmeier:
My computer does not temporarily freeze. Only FF does. If I use copy/paste to enter the URL when I start FF and then wait until it freezes, I can then startup either Chrome or Opera, paste the
same URL into their address bar and proceed to browse the site while FF continues to stutter. I can also use Windows Explorer or any other programs. If I move the mouse over FF, however, I
get an hour glass and the title at the top of the window changes to say "Not Responding".
I am connected via an Engenius wireless router and its USB adapter on 802.11a. Since both Chrome and Opera will continue to run while FF is stalled out, I'm unwilling to believe that the wireless
connection is an issue, especially since I can still access my NAS drives, which requires the same 802.11a access.
SuperAntiSpyWare was installed a year after I started having this problem in the hopes that it was merely a spyware problem. If SASW was capable of creating this problem a year before it was
installed, the hacker community would love to know how.

dfoulkes:
My copy of SASW is paid-for, but it only runs once at 2AM and then quits (unless it occasionally finds something, in which case it waits until I wake up to tell it what to do: most notably after
I run Chrome which doesn't run NoScript so I wind up with at least 70 tracking cookies.) (Note that I have started FF in "Safe Mode" and "refreshed" FF so that NOScript won't run: it makes no
difference.)
My AV is AVAST (free) and is the only one I have. I have "repaired" it and it says it found "Bitdefender" remnants, but I have run the Bitdefender cleaner for 2016, 2015, and 2014 and they all
report nothing found. I "repaired" AVAST after each cleaning and it still reported finding Bitdefender remnants each time. One of the reasons that I installed "MemInfo" was so that I could get a
display of what was running. It reports that AVAST is running 3 programs: "AvastUI.exe", @ 92MB, "AvastSvc.exe", @ 51MB, "aswidsagent.exe", @29MB.
Note that when I first start FF, it shows up with 111MB, but if I ask MemInfo what it's using when I'm having to bail out every 5 minutes, it says 349MB.!!!

mightyglydd:
.Yes, that is the one.
I installed it a couple of months ago to ID the largest programs running when the hour glass occurs. That was more than a year after the problem started, so if it's creating the problem, it was doing it
without being installed.
Also, the timing interval for "defragging" memory can be set up to 999 minutes wait. That's over 16 hours between defrags.

therube:
Only FF is freezing up, not the whole computer. I can do whatever else I want, including access my NAS drives which requires going through the same wireless USB adapter to get to
my network. If I hover the mouse over FF, however, I get an hour glass, and eventually "Firefox is not responding" in the title bar and in task manager.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I'm only suggesting what I would consider.

Processes you indicate you are using:

Fx 52.3.0
data logging
control programs
SASW
MemInfo

Have you tried another version (older or newer) than Fx52.3.0?

Can you turn off the subsequent programs temporarily for a test? It could be possible there are conflicts with some of the programs you are running.

Just from my own experience back about 1995-1996 trying to develop a Java applet that would run in IE and Netscape. In either application it would work fine. If you launch IE, run the applet then try in Netscape it would crash browsers -- even with IE closed down. The PC had to be rebooted. Same results with either one launched first. I believe now the Java Virtual Machines provided with the two browsers were colliding in memory and killing both processes.

Just my thoughts.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
rickety_goodman

BruceAWittmeier:
None of those programs run continuously or routinely.
I start all of them "as needed" from their icons on my desktop as I need them.
I mention the data logging and control programs only to pre-explain why I am using XP:
the data logging and control programs communicate directly to the serial and/or parallel ports.
XP is the last Windows OS that would allow assembler programs to run from the command line
for this use.
Since I have been posting to this forum using Chrome and Opera, I figured that I needed to run SuperAntiSpyWare
to clean up any tracking cookies. So I started the program and it found 320 tracking cookies just from my
coming to this forum.
I only run MemInfo when the computer starts bogging down.
Right now I am again using FF after a fresh reboot and everything is working normally.
Whatever the problem is, it always gets temporarily corrected by a fresh reboot.

FWIW, I occasionally get an error message from XP that says:

firefox.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation
The system DLL "user32.dll" was relocated in memory. (Quotation marks are mine for readability.)
The application will not run properly. Dynamically Allocated Memory occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs.
The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

Somewhere in a forum I vaguely recall reading that newer updates to FF were clobbering the video driver for my GPU.
I have the final driver made available for my motherboard.
If someone will explain how to do it, I will post an image of the error message from XP and an image of what shows up on
my monitor when the video driver gets clobbered.
Thanks
therube

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

listen man - if firefox throws such errors your outdated xp is messed up - and it is an XP-only error. as google told me there exists a patch, but first you need SP3. at least again no firefox made issue.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Here is how to post an image here...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

After you've taken the screen shot/s...
Reduce it/them to around 600 x 500 or so in your favourite image editor, (Be sure to remove any personal info.)
& upload them to your favourite image hosting site.
> http://tinypic.com/
> https://imageshack.com/
> https://imgur.com/ (They do not allow external linking, now.)
> https://imgbox.com/
> https://ctrlq.org/images/

&...Select the code listed as "Forum Thumbnail", copy the code and paste it in
the thread where you report your problem.

Oh yes....& for those pesky tracking cookies, you may like to try "SpywareBlaster."
> http://www.brightfort.com/
It's free.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
rickety_goodman

I found a partial answer to my original request:
"Nirsoft" makes a program called "WhatIsHang".
I started that program and then started FF, which immediately stalled with "about:blank" in the address bar.

The "WhatIsHang" output revealed:
(1st snippet)
Remarks:
* The program hangs in a single system call. You can look in the call stack and stack data to find out which API function caused this hang.

Also:
(2nd snippet)
Strings found in the stack:
nsNativeModuleLoader
InvalidateCaches

Also:
(3rd snippet)
Execute Address:
7C90E4F4 ntdll.dll ! KiFastSystemCallRet

The output is quite lengthy. Does anyone know where I could post it and have a knowledgeable person look at it?
Thanks for any help.
In order to get any work done online, I'm having to abandon FF and use "PaleMoon" with "uMatrix" .
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Try > https://www.mediafire.com/index.php
Not too sure if you have to register but it's free, so.....
Been using it for years.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
I'm having to abandon FF and use "PaleMoon"
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.2 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.5.0
good luck.
therube

Post by therube »

@rickety, past it someplace like https://pastebin.com/.
(While I've used whatishang any number of times, don't know that I'll be able to make sense of it ;-).)

As a test, create a new, clean Profile & see how that reacts.