Problem with Software Security Device

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Pee Jay

Problem with Software Security Device

Post by Pee Jay »

When I go to the site https://www.arcamax.com Firefox always put up the Software Security Device request for the master password to be entered even though I have included https://www.arcamax.com in the list of exceptions. All other sites in the exception list give no problems.

The arcamax site does not require a password at all so it is strange that it has an https web address.

Is there any way to get it to stop asking for the master password?
Pee Jay
Central Coast
NSW Australia
dfoulkes

Re: Problem with Software Security Device

Post by dfoulkes »

I just visited that link and got no prompt for any password. Also the 'Master Password' is normally used to get into Firefox... not so much site related... maybe I'm wrong.. others will correct me if I am. But, you say Master Password... are you sure that it's Firefox prompting for that and not some security software?

Also, does it happen while Firefox is in safe-mode?

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Last edited by dfoulkes on September 14th, 2017, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Pee Jay

Post by Pee Jay »

CORRECTION

I should have said that the problem is whenever I go directly to a section of the website, without going through the main page, such as

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/peanuts

There is no problem when going directly to the main page https://www.arcamax.com but if I go to this main page and click on "COMICS" and select a menu item, there is a problem.
Pee Jay
Central Coast
NSW Australia
Pee Jay

Post by Pee Jay »

Hi dfoulkes - thanks for your reply.

Hope you have seen my correction post.

The problem is still there in safe mode.

The master password I refer to is that you can set when you go to:-

Tools|Options and select Security
Pee Jay
Central Coast
NSW Australia
therube

Post by therube »

Do you actually sign in (have you already) to aramax?
And what happens if you are not signed in?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

There is a login form of the Comics page that opens if I hover the 'person' icon at the top left that is likely triggering this dialog to enter the master password.

Are you sure that you haven't saved a name/password for this website because that would normally the only reason for this dialog.

Maybe use "Forget About This Site" to remove all data related to this website.
"Forget About This Site" will remove all data stored in Firefox from that domain like bookmarks/history/cookies and passwords and exceptions, so be cautious.
If you have data from this domain that you do not want to lose then make sure to backup this data or make a note.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

There's an option near the foot of the page to login in order to post comments on the Peanuts page. If you've ever posted a comment on the Arcamax site the data may have been recorded in the Offline Web Content and Data Usage menu. To check, copy/paste about:preferences#advanced in the location bar and hit Enter and then click the Network tab.

If the site is mentioned in the menu at the bottom click the Clear Now button for that menu and also the option above it to clear the cache.

There's also a Member Login at https://www.arcamax.com/login

If the problem persists right click any page on that site and click "View Page Info" and then click the "Permissions" button. In the list of options, scroll down to "Open popup windows" and then remove the checkmark from "Use default" and click the "Block" radio button. Do the same for "Receive notifications".
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just to add a little here... I don't use the M.P. ... went back to that last link that the OP posted and proceeded to run around everywhere (other than attempting to post anything) ... and had no issues at all.

I suppose that the OP could create a test profile and using it as it was created (no changes at all to the test profile) ... then use it at that site to see what happens. You know... just more answers/info by doing that.

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Pee Jay

Post by Pee Jay »

PROBLEM SOLVED!

MANY thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions.

As it turns out, I did post a comment a long time ago but I could not find login details for arcamax.com. It turns out that they do not use that web address for their comments but use a site called disqus.com. Once I found and deleted login details for that site my problem disappeared

Thanks again
Pee Jay
Central Coast
NSW Australia