Time Displayed for emails incorrect

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rodhudson

Time Displayed for emails incorrect

Post by rodhudson »

I have just built and installed Windows 10 on a new PC. But the time displayed for incoming Emails is not the same as the Computer time and date.
Sometimes a day out.

Is there a separate setting for this in T-Bird ? I thought it just picked up the PC setting.

I still have T-Bird on my older Windows 7 PC - and looking at them side by side, the times are all different.

Although the PC Clock times [bottom right] are the same.
DanRaisch

Re: Time Displayed for emails incorrect

Post by DanRaisch »

Is there a separate setting for this in T-Bird ?
No, there is not.
Have you confirmed that the time zone setting is the same on both systems? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Time_and_time_zone_settings
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi. I wasn't sure about that, so got the MS Technician to log onto my Win 10 PC, and set everything correctly.
I think it was OK, although I did ask him to change my settings to 24 hour clock from 12 hour.

But have just sent myself a message from the Win 7 PC to the Win 10 [different domain address of course] and the Win 10 Thunderbird has STILL received it at 11 hours behind.
i.e My time here was 10.19 a.m on 15-09-17, but received on the Win 10 T-Bird at 11.31p.m on 14-09-17..........whereas the time and date bottom right on both PC's were showing the same - 10.31AM on 15-09-17.

All very strange. Not sure what to do about it. Not too critical, as I am mainly using the Win 7 for emails still - but it would be good to get to the bottom of it, as I will need to switch to the '10' one day !
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Specifically be sure the operating systems on both computers are set to the correct TIME ZONE not just the correct local time.. Merely looking at the time shown in the corner of the screen is not enough because the time and timezone settings may have offsetting errors that make the displayed time look correct.

Easy way to get there in Win 10:

Hold down the Windows key on keyboard and press S.
Type in change time .
In the search results click the top entry, "Change the date and time/system settings".

Now set the correct time zone for your location.
After time zone is set, you may need to reset the date and time.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi. Thanks for the info - but this is getting worse.
THREE MS engineers have logged into my PC now, and each one said they'd fixed it, and they haven't !

The last one wanted to charge me for a fix ! I told him where to go ! I've only just bought my 10 !

Luckily I still have a machine with Win 7 Ultimate working.

Pressing the Windows key and 'S' brings up the very helpful statement ..."I'm afraid I'm not able to help in your Region".

So seriously thinking of ditching Windows 10 now, as this is just stupid.

I'm sure is IS to do with Windows, and not Thunderbird - but thought I'd ask here first !
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You should be able to just click on the (Cortana) search field next to the windows icon at the lower left corner of your monitor, type change time, and select "change the time zone" at the top of the results. That should bring you to a settings pane that lets you enable automatically setting the time and the time zone.

Or see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-time- ... windows-10 if you want to do it via the start button.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Thanks for that. But I think there's something wrong ! The Microsoft Engineers who logged into my PC couldn't fix it, and I've just had an Email from them giving me an 'Upgrade' path, and instructions as to what to do. That's been downloading for the part 45 minutes !! I have found Microsoft to be a total shambles re their Support and Help.
But I'll let this finish and see if it makes a difference. Earlier, for some reason, it said Cortana wasn't available in my 'Region' !

The engineer who logged on to my PC said he'd set my clock to 24 hour- but it isn't, and the last time I tried to get back to them, I must have entered my details 10 times. Just kept going round in circles. Maybe I should get a MAC like all my friends !
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

OK. Thanks for that. Good to know that I'm not the only one with a silly problem. But to be honest, I think it is absolutely disgraceful. How can they sell half-arsed products like this and get away with it ?

All I want is for the time and date on my incoming emails to display correctly, and I have to spend a day getting nowhere.

I only bought the Windows 10 program 2 weeks ago, and the 'Free Download' that they offered me to fix all the problems took over an hour to get to 90%, and then quit and started again at 0% !!

That's when I switched off and am thinking about a new copy of Windows 7 !

Support or not, it can't be worse !

But thanks for your help.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Also, to be honest, I only bought the Windows 10 because of threats to discontinue support for Windows 7.

And why I have to have Cortana in order for the Time and Date and Regions to be set correctly, and display correctly is beyond me.
If the OS can't work properly in any particular Region, they should be banned from selling it in that Region.
And taken to Court.

Disgraceful !
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Rod,
I believe that you're in NZ, according to your IP #. Correct?

Anyway, I don't think that Cortana has been activated for us "Southerners" at this present time.

You may want to check out the tenforums for more info though.
> https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php? ... x=0&sa.y=0

WIN 7 will be supported until 2020 AFAIK.
I hope so anyway. Plus it may last a little longer, (lotsa Corporate usage?), but who knows?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi. Yep - you are quite correct. I am between Queenstown and Wanaka - clearly places unheard of by Microsoft !

But I'm not particularly worried about Cortana. Frankly, I don't really know what it is or what it does.
But the lack of access to it seems to be what is stopping me from being able to set the Region and Time, [ and Language etc] on my Win 10 PC..........which seems totally ridiculous to me.

Surely if those things can't be done, the Product isn't 'fit for purpose', and the people in charge should be executed. Or at least given the 'cat-o-nine tails' !
But what do they care, with all their Trillions and Billions etc !

I can't actually believe that this is the case, so still hopeful of finding a way of getting round it all !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And why I have to have Cortana in order for the Time and Date and Regions to be set correctly,
You don't need Cortana for that. It was just a quick way to get to the Settings which can also be reached the long way around. Click on the Windows icon at the bottom left of your screen to display the start menu. Scroll down to "Settings" and click on that entry. Click on the "Time and Languages" icon, then on "Date & Time". Confirm that the Time Zone is selected for your region.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi Dan. Thanks for that 'long way round' - but I think it's some other problem really. I did all that, and checked everything, including setting the Language to English, and then New Zealand
I then rebooted the Win 10 PC. I then sent an email from one of my Accounts [xxxxxxxxx-at-southerntelecomms.com] to another one [xxxxxxx-at-@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com], with both the Win 10 PC and the Win 7 Ultimate PC on the T-Bird screen, and side by side.

Both emails arrived, although the Win 10 one took twice as long.

The time on the Win 7 email arrival was 00:07 16-09-2017. [Our correct time here]
The time of arrival on the Win 10 PC was 01:12 PM 15-09-2017. [NOT correct. 11 hours earlier]

So the problem is still there, in spite of everything else apparently being as it should be.

Which is where we came in !
Last edited by LIMPET235 on September 15th, 2017, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited the email addy/s.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

It's not a good idea to post any personal details on any open fora, unless you like spam.
Way too many bots floating around.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)