BetterPrivacy and Show My Password Exts. - Still Supported?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BrowseMail

BetterPrivacy and Show My Password Exts. - Still Supported?

Post by BrowseMail »

Hi,

Could you please advise if BetterPrivacy and Show My Password extensions (both from same author) are still supported? I've had them both installed in Firefox for several years and they still appear to be working. However, BetterPrivacy is no longer on AMO and Show My Password shows as being incompatible on AMO (even though I don't seem to have an issue with this).

Any chances of any new versions of these extensions (especially WebExtension versions)? If not, are there any alternative extensions with same/similar functionality?

Thanks.
LIMPET235

Re: BetterPrivacy and Show My Password Exts. - Still Support

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
If you go to the Firefox Add-ons page > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
and look for ones compatible with Firefox 57+.

&... At the > Add-ons > Extension page, click on the "gear icon" drop down, click on "Check for updates" and Firefox will check for updates and install updated extensions as long as the updates are compatible.

I can't say as to whether or not yours will be updated to function with Web Extensions.
Maybe ask the author or check at the D/L page?

If I remember correctly, there was a thread here just recently that displayed a list.....not too sure though,
possibly this one?

The following is from this post by "Mark12547."
Clicking on the "Legacy Extensions" side tab will show the extensions "installed" that are no longer being loaded into Firefox, and beside each one is a button labeled "Find a replacement". Clicking on "Find a replacement" will take you to AMO. The "Find a replacement" is actually a work in progress on the AMO side and should eventually suggest possible replacements.
NB: Take a look at the "Google Spread Sheet" link for more info. on which will/will not be available.

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

NB: I have a "bookmarklet" that enables you to show your Password, if needed.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

Thanks for your reply. I am currently looking at the extensions I have installed.

I also found an alternative WebExtensions list here:

https://arewewebextensionsyet.com/
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

BetterPrivacy was an extension which deleted Local Shared Objects which is a Flash technology when FF was closed. But since Adobe created the option to block them on the Flash Settings panel the extension isn't really needed anymore. https://www.macromedia.com/support/docu ... ger07.html
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

After some careful consideration this is what I've decided to do:
  • Uninstall BetterPrivacy as is no longer being supported. I could not find any similar extensions, so will manage Flash cookies (LSOs) using the "Flash Player Settings Manager" in Window's Control Panel (also on the Flash Player web site).
  • Replace Show My Password with Show/Hide Passwords. Show/Hide Passwords is similar and supports Firefox 57 (WebExtension compliant). Unfortunately, I could not get it to work on Gmail and Outlook web sites (presumably due to the e-mail and password being entered on separate screens) but it worked fine on other sites I tested it on.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

BrowseMail wrote:After some careful consideration this is what I've decided to do:
  • Uninstall BetterPrivacy as is no longer being supported. I could not find any similar extensions, so will manage Flash cookies (LSOs) using the "Flash Player Settings Manager" in Window's Control Panel (also on the Flash Player web site).
  • Replace Show My Password with Show/Hide Passwords. Show/Hide Passwords is similar and supports Firefox 57 (WebExtension compliant). Unfortunately, I could not get it to work on Gmail and Outlook web sites (presumably due to the e-mail and password being entered on separate screens) but it worked fine on other sites I tested it on.
You could also consider using a third party password manager. I use the excellent open source Keepass which has a context menu (right click) to copy userrname and password to the Windows clipboard for 12 seconds allowing you enough time to enter both without having to be concerned that the data will be held in cache afterwards.

Keepass includes a password generator and there have been many plugins written for it: http://keepass.info/plugins.html
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I like Dashlane too. And it did log me in on the 2 pages of Goofle. LastPass has multiple unpatched bugs since being bought by LogMeIn. It's getting worse and worse.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

I have considered third-party password managers, however, never been that keen on the idea. Whilst it is certainly important to ensure logins are kept private I don't feel confident relying on any one product to store encrypted logins. For example, if the programme is buggy or no longer supported - all logins could be effectively lost.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

No, they all have backup CSV files, and most are all capable of importing from another program. I'm using both LastPass and Dashlane, but phasing out LastPass. and I have them both backed up. Right now LP seems to be the only one that's falling apart.

There are also online reviews of many of them.S ome of these programs have been around many years.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

Good to read that backup CSV files are supported - I'll reconsider using such a programme in the future. Are the backup CSV files plain text (not encrypted)? Does Keepass also have backup CSV functionality?