TB becomes comatose after sending a message

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
n2ubp

TB becomes comatose after sending a message

Post by n2ubp »

Thunderbird, any version from 45.x thru current. Windows 10 Creators Update with all current updates.
Ninety percent of the time when I send a message the message is sent properly, but then Thunderbird hangs for 3 to 5 minutes, replacing the mouse cursor turns into the line you would normally see in a screen input field anywhere on the screen, if I left click the mouse the line is replaced with the windows is busy rolling circle for a few more minutes, then everything goes back to normal.

I've tried a total uninstall and reinstall using Revo Uninstaller and erasing all profile information.
I tried copying my working Thunderbird info from another computer running Windows 7 using Mozbackup and restoring to the failing computer, still fails.
No errors in event viewer.

Suggestions appreciated. It's driving me nuts!
Thanks,
Steve

73 de N2UBP
DanRaisch

Re: TB becomes comatose after sending a message

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software is running on that system?
n2ubp

Post by n2ubp »

"What security software is running on that system?"
Avast, which I recently uninstalled and fell back to Microsoft Windows Defender to see if it made a difference, which it didn't, same failure.
Also fails with Thunderbird in safe mode.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When uninstalling Avast, did you use uninstaller utility from Avast? If not, there could be elements associated with Avast still active on the system.

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
n2ubp

Post by n2ubp »

I've tried both POP and IMAP. TB hangs with both configurations. I just noticed that TB is hanging while I am in the middle of composing a long winded e-mail, perhaps saving the email as a draft after xx amount of minutes? I'll turn off "Autosave after xx minutes" and see if that helps.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I've tried both POP and IMAP. TB hangs with both configurations.
But what is the set up at this time?
n2ubp

Post by n2ubp »

Nine different e-mail addresses, some are POP and some are IMAP.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And does that hanging occur with messages sent from all accounts or just particular ones? Does it happen with both types of accounts or is it predominantly with one or the other?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

n2ubp

Post by n2ubp »

I believe I've found a solution to this problem.
I run Windows 10 x64 Pro on an older home built tower based on the ASUS P5KC motherboard and a quad core Intel Q9650 3.0 ghz processor. I was working with r VMWare Workstation 12 player and Windows 7 refused to start, claiming VT-x was disabled. I checked my BIOS setting and VT-x (aka Vanderpool) was enabled but for the heck of it I toggled it off and back and power cycled the PC a few times (because a note in the BIOS stated it would only switch states with a full power off/on cycle, not a restart). Now Thunderbird is not hanging when sending messages. Certainly an unusual bug for me. Thanks to all for listening and putting up with me.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

n2ubp wrote:... I checked my BIOS setting and VT-x (aka Vanderpool) was enabled but for the heck of it I toggled it off and back and power cycled the PC a few times (because a note in the BIOS stated it would only switch states with a full power off/on cycle, not a restart). Now Thunderbird is not hanging when sending messages.
That's odd. And if you toggle it back on, the problem returns?