Time Displayed for emails incorrect

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rodhudson

Re: Time Displayed for emails incorrect

Post by rodhudson »

Ha. Does anybody like spam ? As a kid it used to be a meat ! [Showing my age there !]

But because most of my Addresses are DOT COM, I do tend to get Emails from all over the world. Even companies from Alaska trying to sell me Double Glazing. [I'm sure they'd run a mile if I said 'Yes' !]

So I have organised a set up of Filters, and Junk, and Trash etc, and anything from anyone who isn't in my address books goes straight there. I may miss a few of interest, but it's a fact of modern life, I guess.

But thanks for the warning. As it is I get over 500 emails a day now - hence the need to sort out this time and Date thing.
I never envisaged it could be such a problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Check the columns selected for display in both the Win 10 and Win 7 machines. At the right end of the column header bar at the top of the message list pane there is a small box. Click on that to see which columns are available for display. Is "Date" selected in both with "Received" unchecked?

rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi Dan. I've checked both PC's, as suggested - but I don't have either a DATE or a RECEIVED listed as options to check in either of them !
I could list what I have,[13 in all] but you probably don't need to see that ! Both PC's are on Version 52.3 [32 bit].

Also, matters getting worse !

I have just tested SENDING from the Win 10 PC, and although it says 'SENT', and is listed as such,with the 'correct' time shown, nothing is arriving at a destination.

But I AM receiving Emails on it the same as on the Win 7 PC, but with the different times, as explained before !

Not important as I'm only 'Testing' on Win 10 at the moment .....but clearly something very wrong !
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try using a different email providers smtp server with that account. If you don't have one, consider signing up for a gmail account. You can always delete it or ignore it and keep it just for emergencies/troubleshooting afterwards. The one caveat is "If you use the Gmail SMTP server with a different account it will replace the From: address with your Gmail accounts email address unless you add the email address in the Gmail web page at Setting -> Accounts -> "Add another email address""

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

GOOD news - for once !!
I think it's 'coming right'!! When the Microsoft Technician logged onto the PC to try and sort it out, he set both the TIME and TIME ZONE in SETTINGS to AUTOMATIC. I now think that may have been what was causing the trouble. [ They may have been on that anyway, from the start !]

But I turned those OFF, and set them MANUALLY, and the time and Date are now showing correctly for Emails....and all the past ones as well.

As I said earlier, they have given me a link for Windows 10 UPGRADE, or UPDATE......but it was hopeless.

Took over an hour to get to 90%, and then started again from 0%. So I haven't done it ! May try again sometime.

Although now T-Bird is OK, I may not bother.

So things looking good at the moment. But will keep a wary eye for a while !

It could all go 'pear-shaped' again ! Not too impressed with MS or WIN 10 !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What are the first six options in that pull down list of available columns?
Have you checked the web mail page of the account you sent that message to (from the Win 10 system) to see if it arrived on the server? Did you check the Junk/Spam/Bulk folder (or whatever name the server uses for such messages) on the server to see if is there rather than in the inbox folder?
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Hi. The first six options are Name, [not sure if that's an option or a heading !]....Email...Chat Name...Organisation...Nickname......Additional Email....Department.
Yes - I have checked the Horde Transfer Webmail page, and it is on there. Didn't have to check their 'Junk' etc, as it was in the Inbox.

But I have sent and received a few more Emails in the last hour, and all still looking good. Fingers crossed !
I think the problem was caused by the Microsoft Win 10 Set up.

[By the way, should I have seen a Received and Date in my list ?]
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

[By the way, should I have seen a Received and Date in my list ?]
Well, those are present in my Thunderbird and I believe they are from the default installation.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

I've tried to keep my version up-to-date, and it does seem to update automatically from time to time. The Installation on the WIN 10 PC is, of course, a new download fairly recently, and it is showing the same version number as the older Win 7.

The full list I have , in addition to the 7 I listed previously, includes Title.....Mobile.....Pager......Fax......Home Phone....Work Phone.....Address Book.......and then 'Restore Column Order.
And that's it.

I STILL can't get hold of Microsoft 'Live Chat' again. Must have tried 20 times now over the last 2 days.

Beginning to think I must have been 'Blacklisted'!!

I'm afraid they are getting worse and worse. I did click on something they said was really important, which turned out to be a sort of system scan, and at the end wanted to charge me quite a lot to to 'fix everything' !

I wanted to tell them I have Norton for that, but they are now a total waste of time.

I'm 100% sure that this problem with the Time and Date I've had is all down to them, and releasing a half-baked Win 10 before really ready.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't think your issues is really attributable to Win 10 itself but whatever "Live Chat" support you found is apparently not competent if they didn't find that "Automatic" time adjustment setting. Settings like that are merely defaults and don't represent problems until they don't match the user's location and are not adjusted to match that location. That's why folks here were focused on time zone and system clock settings. That same problem of time zone mismatch was present in previous versions of Windows, including 7, for some users.
rodhudson

Post by rodhudson »

Yes. I am 100% sure that you are right in saying that.
I have now dealt with 3 'Microsoft Technicians' over this issue, and they are all, in varying degrees, 'incompetent'.

The first used the Automatic Setting......which I discovered placed me in 'London, Edinburgh & Somewhere else' !

The second one failed to give me the six digit 'Logmein' code, and I couldn't get back to him.

The third one kept saying 'I'm just obeying the Rules' ! By the way, it seems that Microsoft don't allow emailed Transcripts of their 'Live Chat's ! They are the first 'Support Company' I've ever found to do this.

But they do allow Adverts, Commercial Partners, and anything else to do with making money ! And that's what's they are all about these days. Except when it comes to paying for good Support Technicians.

You must be running a different version of T-Bird to me, as I have found the Date and Receiving and about 20 other headings by clicking on the top [headers] line of the main messages screen, but not where you told me to look. So I suspect that you have a later [or Beta] version that I don't yet have.
But thanks for all your help on this ......and to all the others who have 'chipped in'.

I think MS have come out very much the worst, by far !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.