FF won't open certain links on website {SOLVED-shortTerm}

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
snailcoach

FF won't open certain links on website {SOLVED-shortTerm}

Post by snailcoach »

I'm using FF 55.0.3 64bit on PCLInuxOS KDE Plasma 5. As of last night I can no longer access some links on the kobobooks site. That is, I'd type in a title or author's name, the list comes up but from that page none of the links I click will open. I cannot put a book into my cart. I tried Amazon and a couple other sites and they work okay.

The exact same thing happens with SeaMonkey 2.48 on the PCLOS computer. The same links that I can no longer access in FF, I can no longer access in SeaMonkey. Before last night kobobooks.com FF, and SeaMonkey were very great pals.

I also have the same version of FF on a Windows 7 32 bit laptop and on a Windows 8 64bit computer and the same problem.

Kobo don't seem to think it's their problem. So here I am checking in with you guys.

Chrome and IE on the Windows computers work fine with all the links on the kobo site.
I don't have SeaMonkey on any of the Windows computers.
Last edited by snailcoach on September 16th, 2017, 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanRaisch

Re: FF won't open certain links on website

Post by DanRaisch »

What specific links, so we can check them out.
snailcoach

Post by snailcoach »

Use the Search box on kobobooks.com to search for any author or any book title. When the search results appear, clicking on the book image or any other link from there and nothing happens.

Let's say I type in Dan Brown in the search box. A whole list of Dan Brown's books appear. When I click on any of those books to see more information or put the book(s) in the cart, nothing happens.
Same if I search by book title. The book will appear on the next page but try clicking on the book to see more info or add to cart and nothing happens.

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/search?Query=Dan+Brown

Same for the first five clickable icons on kobo's Help page.

On the home page, any books or other image that is clicked on, the links open all the way to the cart as they should. But using the search box for anything specific and it's no go after the initial list.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not what I'm seeing. There is a lag, but then the page for the selected book appears.
Do you have NoScript running? You may have to permit one or more scripts to run.
snailcoach

Post by snailcoach »

DanRaisch wrote:Not what I'm seeing. There is a lag, but then the page for the selected book appears.
Do you have NoScript running? You may have to permit one or more scripts to run.
I'm not sure about NoScript. I have Block PopUps on and Accept cookies from visited. Where can I check for NoScript?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try Edit →Addons->Extensions->review the list of installed extensions, if any.
snailcoach

Post by snailcoach »

DanRaisch wrote:Try Edit →Addons->Extensions->review the list of installed extensions, if any.

No Add-ons or extensions are installed. In Security I have 'Block dangerous and deceptive contents' on. I'll remove that and see if that works. --removing it didn't work

I must have turned something on in SeaMonkey 'cause I have options 'Keep Blocking' and 'Unblock'. Unblock will allow those links to open so that's okay I guess.
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

I had to disable tracking protection for the site to make the links work normally.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Do you have Privacy Badger installed? I had the same problem as you did initially with links to books not opening, but once I disabled Privacy Badger everything works properly.

So it would appear to be tracker related. Disable your adblocker and any anti-tracking apps you have installed and you should be OK. If you don't have any extensions installed, then it's most likely down to whatever AV you're using. Many antivirus applications incorporate web filters which prevent sites from working properly, so you'll need to disable those for the kobo site.
snailcoach

Post by snailcoach »

No I don't have Privacy Badger installed. Yep, it is tracker related; I had 'Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows' on. I've disabled it and yes, it worked. I don't have to disable if for Amazon and some other sites I purchase from though. Could it be then that Kobo has done some updates to their pages because they really want to track users, thus forcing the disabling of the 'no tracking' option? If not. . .

The Windows computers has Norton; the Linux computer has only its FW -no AV installed.

I don't understand then, I've had that option selected since I've been using FF and have bought so many books and browse without any problems from Kobo until 2 nights ago. I didn't make any changes or do anything yet suddenly there is an issue.

Secondly, how can one prevent being tracked and being bombarded with ads I don't need if I cannot use the prevention option the browser provided?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. It's quite possible that Kobo changed something on their side that caused the issue. Sites are making it more and more difficult to avoid tracking and/or add displays.
2. You can install an extension like uBlock Origin to block ads.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try to middle-click the link to force opening the link in a new tab to see if that works.
snailcoach

Post by snailcoach »

DanRaisch wrote:1. It's quite possible that Kobo changed something on their side that caused the issue. Sites are making it more and more difficult to avoid tracking and/or add displays.
2. You can install an extension like uBlock Origin to block ads.
Thanks Dan. I'll add uBlock.
dickvl wrote:Try to middle-click the link to force opening the link in a new tab to see if that works.
. . .that works. Thanks.
So to keep kobo from stalking me, I've to right click the link and open it in another browser just to add it to the shopping cart (give them my money). . .what a hoot :lol:.

Which of course is nothing new anywhere online -offline for that matter as well.