MozillaZine

The first official 20170915 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

User avatar
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: June 9th, 2008, 10:53 am
Location: Near 37.501685 -80.147967

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 9:27 am

Newtabpage start page -- Just to share...

From the 20170813 nightly thread (Thanks WaltS48 and Edds) I have been tinkering with the newtabpage. I liked it but it became pretty much unusable losing the ability to drag/drop arrange and modify.

But I have discovered -- you can edit the about:config newtabpage string to re-arrange the icons to where you want.

First set the newtabpage columns (I use 6) and rows (max 2) to what you want.

You can store/arrange the links in a notepad text file. The only difference between the first/others and last line is the last line cannot contain a comma after the last curly brace -- it causes the icons to be blank. The line feed (carriage returns) and spaces are ignored in the about:config string -- makes editing easier. Arrange your links and paste into the string -- it does require a restart of the browser.

Example first and last line:
Code: Select all
[
{"url":"https://www.yahoo.com/","label":"Yahoo","hostname":"yahoo"},

{"url":"http://imgur.com","label":"Imgur"}
]
~ I'm only here to Pay it Forward. ~

"I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut".

Jgr9
 
Posts: 50
Joined: September 2nd, 2015, 12:51 am

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Extensions like uBlock Origin are still not being activated before pages that open on launch load.

Mark12547
 
Posts: 87
Joined: May 13th, 2017, 11:36 am
Location: Oregon, United States, Earth

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 1:30 pm

shellye5 wrote:It worked twice.


Looking at Bug 1397092, it looks like the developers are starting to get the stuff they need, and they also found another performance issue to look at.

Unfortunately, my home system is just too powerful and too stable to replicate your initial issue. (But in the past few months I had opened other bugs about other issues.)

You had put a lot of work in Bug 1397092 so I hope the developers can solve it!

TheVisitor
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 10:43 am

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Anyone have any info on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1399398 <- Turn on the Storage Management feature

What's it supposed to be doing ?

Peja Stija

User avatar
 
Posts: 548
Joined: June 4th, 2008, 8:46 am
Location: Belgium (proud producer of waffles)

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Jgr9 wrote:Extensions like uBlock Origin are still not being activated before pages that open on launch load.

Nope, each time the browser (re)starts, the current tab doesn't get any filtering at all. I wonder if there's a bugreport for this ?

streetwolf

User avatar
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 8:07 am
Location: NJ (USA)

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 5:06 pm

TheVisitor wrote:Anyone have any info on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1399398 <- Turn on the Storage Management feature

What's it supposed to be doing ?


StorageManager - Web APIs | MDN
Intel i7 Quad Core 3770K @ 5Ghz|ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe|Corsair 1050W PSU|Corsair H100iV2 CPU Cooler|Corsair 16GB RAM|Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB|DUAL ASUS PA249Q IPS 24" LCDs|Samsung SSD 830, 840 256GB|2TB Seagate|Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Crimson 17.10.1|FIOS 1Gb Internet

TheVisitor
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 10:43 am

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 5:07 pm

streetwolf wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:Anyone have any info on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1399398 <- Turn on the Storage Management feature

What's it supposed to be doing ?


StorageManager - Web APIs | MDN


Thanks

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43187
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Somebody got a link to the web extension version of Ublock please I hosed my main profile this morning so I am taking the opportunity to clean house
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

streetwolf

User avatar
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 8:07 am
Location: NJ (USA)

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 6:14 pm

malliz wrote:Somebody got a link to the web extension version of Ublock please I hosed my main profile this morning so I am taking the opportunity to clean house


Releases · gorhill/uBlock
Intel i7 Quad Core 3770K @ 5Ghz|ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe|Corsair 1050W PSU|Corsair H100iV2 CPU Cooler|Corsair 16GB RAM|Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB|DUAL ASUS PA249Q IPS 24" LCDs|Samsung SSD 830, 840 256GB|2TB Seagate|Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Crimson 17.10.1|FIOS 1Gb Internet

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43187
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Thank you :)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

mdew

User avatar
 
Posts: 339
Joined: March 2nd, 2005, 2:34 am

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 9:55 pm

How do you remove the bottom advertising?

https://imgur.com/a/dWeqM

flaneurb
 
Posts: 555
Joined: December 10th, 2011, 3:50 am

Post Posted September 15th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Jgr9 wrote:Extensions like uBlock Origin are still not being activated before pages that open on launch load.

I thought it was just me.
The icons for Stylus and uBlock origin do not appear after nightly updates. The icon for violentmonkey does.

Even though its icon is absent, Stylus is apparently functional. uBo isn't functional. A shutdown and restart gets things back the way they should be.

Mark12547
 
Posts: 87
Joined: May 13th, 2017, 11:36 am
Location: Oregon, United States, Earth

Post Posted September 16th, 2017, 12:18 am

flaneurb wrote:Even though its icon is absent, Stylus is apparently functional. uBo isn't functional. A shutdown and restart gets things back the way they should be.


Try removing them and installing them. For some unknown reason some extensions seem to need to be removed and added back in.

flaneurb
 
Posts: 555
Joined: December 10th, 2011, 3:50 am

Post Posted September 16th, 2017, 1:44 am

Mark12547 wrote:
flaneurb wrote:Even though its icon is absent, Stylus is apparently functional. uBo isn't functional. A shutdown and restart gets things back the way they should be.


Try removing them and installing them. For some unknown reason some extensions seem to need to be removed and added back in.
Just a restart of Firefox is enough on my system :)

shellye5
 
Posts: 32
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 9:57 am

Post Posted September 16th, 2017, 1:54 am

Can someone verify?

Compact light themes with compact density , the tabs are not aligned?

Is there a bug for it?

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mayankleoboy1 and 6 guests