MozillaZine

How to change font for preview pane in userChrome.css (!)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thoste

Post Posted September 16th, 2017, 3:24 am

As you know the font family, size and line-height can only partially changed through Thunderbird GUI.

A better, more advanced way of customize the font for variosu parts of TB GUI is through the userChrome.css file in profile folder.

I specified e.g. so far:

* { font-size: 12px !important;
line-height: 13px !important;
font-family: Verdana !important;
}
/* */
#threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row
{ font-size: 13px !important; line-height: 13px !important; height: 13px !important; min-height: 13px !important; font-family: Verdana !important;}

#folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row
{ font-size: 13px !important; line-height: 13px !important; height: 13px !important; min-height: 13px !important; }

#abResultsTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row
{ font-size: 13px !important; line-height: 13px !important; height: 13px !important; min-height: 13px !important; }

#dirTree treechild3en::-moz-tree-row

Unfortunately this does NOT change the font, font-size, line-height and font-family for the preview pane in the lower right corner of Thunderbird which shows the content body of currently selected message.

So how do I adjust the font-size and font-family for this part of the TB GUI in userChrome.css?

Moreover: What are CSS tags in userChrome.css for the header parts just above the preview pane?

Thank you
Thomas

smsmith

Post Posted September 17th, 2017, 8:37 am

Take a look at Tools -> Options -> Display, Formatting. Of special significance is the checkbox in the Advanced preferences of the Fonts & Colors section labelled "Allow messages to use other fonts".
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 17th, 2017, 10:36 am

thoste

Post Posted September 20th, 2017, 2:29 am

Thank you for suggestions

@smsmith: Whats exactly is meant by "other" in the options dialog?
- Other than the font specified just above this checkbos in the dialog
or
- Other than the font specified in userChrome.css
?

@tanstaafl:
Yes, I aleardy know this page. But on this webpages nothing is written about the message preview pane. Only about all other parts
So where do I get the CSS tags for the messages preview pane?

smsmith

Post Posted September 20th, 2017, 5:33 am

"Other" in this instance means a font that is specified by the email sender. So if that checkbox is enabled and the sender specifically used a font in the email, that font would show when you read it, even if you had chosen a different font for viewing mail in your Thunderbird settings.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

morat

Post Posted September 20th, 2017, 5:54 am

thoste wrote:change ... font-size ... for the preview pane in the lower right corner

Try this:

Code: Select all
/* Thunderbird userContent.css */

* { font-size: 28px !important; }

http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserContent.css

Similar thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3026801

thoste wrote:header parts just above the preview pane

Try this:

Code: Select all
/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#expandedHeaderView {
  background-color: gainsboro !important;
  font-size: 28px !important;
}

http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

thoste

Post Posted October 15th, 2017, 8:40 am

A few more related question:

The fonts specified in Tools -> Options -> Display, Formatting -> Fonts &Colors ---> Advanced:
Does this font definition has a higher priority than the font definition in userChrome.css resp. userContent.css?

Is this font definition (see above) only for the text body of messages (in preview pane) or for other purposes (menu, headers, messages list as well)?

Inside the Advanced dialog users have to select from dropdown "Fonts for" a font family.
Most of the time ist Latin but rarely its (for me) cyrillic.

What if a message contains latin AND cyrillic chars in parallel?
Is the target family found be interpretation or by a header line (which)?

Thx
Thomas

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 15th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Return to Thunderbird Support