SMTP sending time out issue

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Randall_Colt

SMTP sending time out issue

Post by Randall_Colt »

Using newest version of T Bird. Mail Provider: G mail ISP: AT&T Antivirus: Avast WIN 10 T Bird: 52.3.0

Have been using T Bird for several years. Mostly no issues. Recently developed a serious hic up - for me.
I can receive but not send e-mails.
I have a single g mail account I have been using and am now having trouble with. I did recently change ISP but as I understand it, this should have no effect.
I have spent hours trying to fix this error. The best I have come up with so far is to set my smtp port to 25 which is allowing me to attempt to send an email for a minute or two until I eventually get the fatal - timed out error box.
I have read numerous articles, help notes, memos, what ever.....
I have tried different settings - security, ports, upper case, lower case etc.
Of note (maybe) is that when I attempt to re-enter configuration data - Name - email address - password - - I can fill these fields in but upon going past this screen - when I return to it - it is blank and I have to re enter the data.
I have attempted to uninstall the program and reinstall but when I do - my settings, folders, e-mail, are all retained.
Additionally, in my frustration - and looking for answers - I have downloaded a couple of different third party e mail clients and they all work flawlessly. Problem is - I greatly prefer t bird.
I have attempted automatic configuration as well as manual configuration.
I have reviewed my settings meticulously - I must admit that I am not really a super user and really do not understand all that I am looking at.
When I was using port 467 ( I think that was it) in my smtp configuration - when I attempted to send an e mail, I got a different box in the middle of my screen much quicker saying that my smtp session was disconnected. Now w port 25 it looks like it is trying send the message for a minute or two before finally timing out with an error message. i do not think it says that I am disconnected.
Extremely frustrated. No idea what else to try. Any help / thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
RC
DanRaisch

Re: SMTP sending time out issue

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have Avast set to scan outgoing message? If so, switch off that outgoing scan. It does nothing to protect you.
Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Just tell us if it is your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Authentication Method:
Connection Security:
Randall_Colt

Post by Randall_Colt »

Dan,
After searching for a solution to my T Bird email problem.... someone suggested that I take the drastic move of going into my %appdata% and deleting my T Bird folders. I would have preferred a different route and maybe a bit more specificity as to exactly which folder and maybe which files I should have deleted but at this point I was extremely frustrated and ready to just toss in the towel. I had already tried to uninstall T Bird and re load it but apparently the entire program did not uninstall and when I attempted to reload and start fresh - whatever was causing me issues remained installed. So I figured what the heck and just deleted the entire folders. Restarted T Bird and it acted like a complete, fresh install and asked me for my information. I entered the data and "who'd have thunk?" it started right up, repopulated my messages and allowed me to receive and send. Not the best solution. Not too elegant. Not exactly what I wanted but it worked. Dumb me, I did not back up some things I should have but what the heck - that is on me. Anyway, I appreciate your offer of assistance but I have taken care of the problem for this time. I do not really understand this SMTP thing at all and am really frustrated that I could not really find any definitive solution, mostly just a check e-mail address, SMTP info, and port numbers. Must have entered this data a hundred times if I entered it even once. Tried automatic configuration etc, etc. If you could advise what specific folder/files I should delete in the %appdata% area next time this happens I sure would appreciate it. This seems to happen to me and others every so often. Again, thank you very much for your offer of assistance, I do very much appreciate it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I had already tried to uninstall T Bird and re load it but apparently the entire program did not uninstall
Well, the program probably did totally uninstall but the message data, account settings, etc. are stored in a profile directory, separately from the program files and, if they are to be deleted, must be deleted separately. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

The SMTP referred to in my post is the outgoing server of your email provider, which Thunderbird connects to in order to send messages.
Randall_Colt

Post by Randall_Colt »

Thank you for the information Dan. I shall copy your latest response, save it, and hope I never have further need of it again.

Again, thank you.