(Resolved) Offline Email Copy to Local Folders not working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ANub

(Resolved) Offline Email Copy to Local Folders not working

Post by ANub »

Dear All,

I am using Thunderbird 52.1.1 (32-bit) on Ubuntu 16.04 (LTS). I am also using Exquilla Microsoft Extension to connect to my official Microsoft Exchange Email account. This is working fine with no issue what so ever. Since MS account is IMAP account, server keeps copy of inbox and sent messages.

Recently I got server message that my mailbox is getting full. I had to remove messages from my Email box so I created Inbox and Sent folders in "Local Folders" and wanted to copy messages. However, this is where the problem is arising. I can not copy emails from IMAP inbox to Local Folder Inbox while in offline mode. I can only copy while in online mode which is painstakingly slow process as thunderbird continuously communicates (confirmed through Wireshark) with the IMAP server during copying process (although its local copy). Moreover, after copying some messages, the process simply terminates and no more messages are copied. I am stuck as to what to do and how to copy my thousands of messages from IMAP Inbox to Local Folder Inbox (especially using offline mode which I recon should be fast) ?

Please suggest what to do?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Offline Mode Email Copy to Local Folders not working

Post by DanRaisch »

Using menu path Edit->Account Settings->"Sychronization & Storage", is Thunderbird set to "Keep messages for this account on this computer"?
ANub

Post by ANub »

There is no option for "Sychronization & Storage". It could be because its Microsoft Exchange Account managed through Exquilla Extention. But as far as retaining Email on local machine is concerned, that functionality is there because I can read Emails as well as attachments in offline mode (or when Internet is disconnected).
Here are the options for Account Settings

However, I can see Synchronization option against individual folder options. For Example, taking properties of Inbox Folder in IMAP account I can see this:

P.S: I've also tried adding a message filter with rule that all Inbox messages be Moved to Local Folder Inbox. That filter works only for new Email messages but when I try to run the filter manually, no message gets moved to Local Folder.
ANub

Post by ANub »

Update..

Alright so I did some more searching on the forums and found this https://superuser.com/a/295426. Basically it says that sometimes if folders are not properly indexed copying function fails. So I did a "Repair Folder" (By right click and selecting properties) on all my respective folders and once again started the process of copy and this time it did copy successfully. Copied Emails in chunks of 100s.

I am not sure if Repairing a Folder has fixed the issue because I had no issue for which "Repair Folder" option is usually recommended but apparently my issue is fixed. So all is good now.

Please mark this thread as solved.