Reverts to default layout

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jhaber3

Reverts to default layout

Post by jhaber3 »

Recently Thunderbird has been reverting to its default layout and toolbars. Not every time, but often enough. And not completely (as, say, it remembers my choice of buttons in the mail toolbar), but I still have to go to View to uncheck the quick filter bar and message pane. Any suggestions?
smsmith

Re: Reverts to default layout

Post by smsmith »

This could be caused by a problem with the file that stores your window layout state. This file used to be localstore.rdf and is located in your Thunderbird user profile. The file is now called xulstore.json.

Find your profile folder by opening (in Thunderbird) Help -> Troubleshooting Information. Click on the "Open Folder" button listed next to "profile folder" in the data table that opens in a new tab in Thunderbird. Close Thunderbird and rename the xulstore.json file in your profile folder to xulstore.json.bak or old_xulstore.json. When you next open Thunderbird, a new file will be built using the default configuration. You should then be able to set your window layout back up again, and it should not revert to defaults when you close and restart Thunderbird.

See also this file, and change localstore.rdf to xulstore.json as you read through it.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Thanks. I'll give it a try, but may I confirm that it's the right file? As I look at it, I don't see right off lines for the toolbar and pane. I do see them in sessions.json, which to a naive eye like mine looks, actually, like it has the right values and doesn't look corrupt, so go figure. In fact, here's its entirety

{"rev":0,"windows":[{"type":"3pane","tabs":{"rev":0,"selectedIndex":0,"tabs":[{"mode":"folder","state":{"folderURI":"mailbox://jhaber@pop3.haberarts.com/Inbox","folderPaneVisible":true,"messagePaneVisible":false,"firstTab":true},"ext":{"quickFilter":{"filterValues":{"text":{"text":null,"states":{"sender":true,"recipients":true,"subject":true}}},"visible":false}}}]

Maybe I should try renaming both? Anything else I might lose that I should back up first?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

You could try both files. I don't use Thunderbird much anymore and don't follow the development. It could very well be that they have moved to session.json.

If you just rename the files, you can always get back anything you might lose by closing Thunderbird, removing the new files and then naming the old ones back to their proper names.

According to this article, the file should be xulstore.json and the session.json file only holds default values.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Ah, thanks. I tried so far renaming only xulstore.json, and so far the customization I then underwent is holding. Let's hope!
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Failure. It reverted to the same issue. Not every time I launch Thunderbird, but maybe every third time. Frustrating.