MozillaZine

Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Lurtz
 
Posts: 141
Joined: June 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 1:07 am

ICQ5 wrote:IMO i reckon Mozilla Kissed the guy that makes DTA to create a WE so Firefox continues, DTA has millions of users, without that firefox would be useless, the WE wont be broken, it'll be Limmited to what it can do, dont spread FUD,

Who is spreading FUD I wonder...That's conspiracy theory BS, Mozilla couldn't care less about some DTA users.

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 1:14 am

Lurtz wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:IMO i reckon Mozilla Kissed the guy that makes DTA to create a WE so Firefox continues, DTA has millions of users, without that firefox would be useless, the WE wont be broken, it'll be Limmited to what it can do, dont spread FUD,

Who is spreading FUD I wonder...That's conspiracy theory BS, Mozilla couldn't care less about some DTA users.

i disagree, Mozilla Need the authors of these extensions thats popular to create WE to keep Firefox alive, if they dopnt do that Mozilla Lose out to Google an Firefox goes Bye Bye

Lurtz
 
Posts: 141
Joined: June 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 1:26 am

Firefox has been losing to Chrome for years, even with legacy add-ons. What makes them so important? The users of DTA are insignificant compared to Firefox's user base.

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 1:28 am

Lurtz wrote:Firefox has been losing to Chrome for years, even with legacy add-ons. What makes them so important? The users of DTA are insignificant compared to Firefox's user base.

i dont think Mozilla can afford to lose even more users to Chrome.

impar
 
Posts: 102
Joined: August 8th, 2007, 1:45 pm

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 1:35 am

Lurtz wrote:It's interesting to see how many who predicted an add-on apocalypse and the doom of Firefox are getting back on track even before the official release of Firefox 57

These web-ext addons are still a watered down versions of legacy addons.
Had to use three web-ext to keep the functionalities given by a single legacy addon.
There is still no bookmarks duplicate cleaner (no, "Bookmarks Organizer" doesnt work, it just hangs before showing the results).
Current web-ext addons for bulk image download cant compare to the "Image Picker" legacy addon. Am trying five(!) web-ext addons to try to replicate "Image Picker" capabilities and they are still lacking.
So it is not an addon apocalypse, just an addon crisis.
Classic Theme Restorer, the solution to the Australis problem!
https://addons.mozilla.org/pt-pt/firefo ... erestorer/

efox99
 
Posts: 97
Joined: March 24th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 2:13 am

ICQ5 wrote:i disagree, Mozilla Need the authors of these extensions thats popular to create WE to keep Firefox alive, if they dopnt do that Mozilla Lose out to Google an Firefox goes Bye Bye


Did you know that the dev of DTA stated that the extension will also work for Chrome and Opera? lol

And btw I don't know if you recently woke up from a coma but Firefox lost to Chrome a long time ago.

Edds

User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: July 21st, 2010, 1:13 pm
Location: SVK

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 6:08 am

Millions of users? DTA has 939K users. This is not even 1% of Firefox user base. Basically nothing will happen with Firefox's market share IF all DTA users will move away.
PC: CPU: Core i7 6700K@4.6Ghz, MB: MSI Z270 GAMING M7, VGA: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X, RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, OS: W10 x64
NB: CPU: Core i3 4030U@1.9Ghz, VGA: Intel HD4400, RAM: 4GB DDR3, SSHD: Seagate 500GB, OS: W10 x64 Phone: LG G4 Android 6.0

Lurtz
 
Posts: 141
Joined: June 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 7:14 am

Mozilla cheats with the stats.

It is known.

GHM113

User avatar
 
Posts: 617
Joined: December 16th, 2015, 3:59 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 8:35 am

Lurtz wrote:Mozilla cheats with the stats.

How many users does DTA have then?
I am an idiot. Sorry for my poor English. Current list of config tweaks: https://pastebin.com/1dCT4Cvp

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 8:57 am

afair they only counted downloads, no uninstalled and deactivated by now. so the real # is unknown.

but i do not see what the latest answers here have somethig to do with the topic header!? btt?

JOJ0
 
Posts: 94
Joined: November 13th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 9:50 am

impar wrote:
Lurtz wrote:It's interesting to see how many who predicted an add-on apocalypse and the doom of Firefox are getting back on track even before the official release of Firefox 57

These web-ext addons are still a watered down versions of legacy addons.
Had to use three web-ext to keep the functionalities given by a single legacy addon.
There is still no bookmarks duplicate cleaner (no, "Bookmarks Organizer" doesnt work, it just hangs before showing the results).
Current web-ext addons for bulk image download cant compare to the "Image Picker" legacy addon. Am trying five(!) web-ext addons to try to replicate "Image Picker" capabilities and they are still lacking.
So it is not an addon apocalypse, just an addon crisis.

Just tested Bookmarks Organizer:
1. Broken search - Results displayed
Number of bookmarks 1319 Checked 1319 Warnings 306 Errors 648

2. Duplicate search - Results displayed
Number of bookmarks 1319 Checked 1319 Warnings 0 Errors 12

3. Missing Name Search - Results displayed
Number of bookmarks 1319 Checked 1319 Warnings 0 Errors 6

Look for extension conflicts or errors in your console log.

Mark12547
 
Posts: 88
Joined: May 13th, 2017, 11:36 am
Location: Oregon, United States, Earth

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 11:05 am

Lurtz wrote:Firefox has been losing to Chrome for years, even with legacy add-ons. What makes them so important? The users of DTA are insignificant compared to Firefox's user base.


While extension users in general are just a fraction of Firefox users, they probably tend to be the more "power users" or more technically adept, people others come to for recommendations about browsers, they are also article writers, bloggers, participants on various online forums, so they have more influence on other people's browser choices than the "average" Firefox user.

So while DTA users are a shade under a million (Note 1), they could (as a group) influence millions of people on their browser choice.

Note 1: These numbers are from AMO. I read on discourse.mozilla.org that the AMO numbers reflect checks by Firefox to see if there are more recent updates to those extensions, a process that isn't 100% reliable and won't reflect those who have disabled checking for extension updates. The numbers are probably good for order-of-magnitude estimates.

Lurtz
 
Posts: 141
Joined: June 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 11:32 am

Mark12547 wrote:While extension users in general are just a fraction of Firefox users, they probably tend to be the more "power users" or more technically adept, people others come to for recommendations about browsers, they are also article writers, bloggers, participants on various online forums, so they have more influence on other people's browser choices than the "average" Firefox user.

So while DTA users are a shade under a million (Note 1), they could (as a group) influence millions of people on their browser choice.

Note 1: These numbers are from AMO. I read on discourse.mozilla.org that the AMO numbers reflect checks by Firefox to see if there are more recent updates to those extensions, a process that isn't 100% reliable and won't reflect those who have disabled checking for extension updates. The numbers are probably good for order-of-magnitude estimates.

If being a power user is defined as clinging to legacy technology that forces Firefox to be much less performant than other browsers no one should listen to these.

I reckon most power users just abandoned all their precious add-ons and fled to Chrome's much more modern architecture and developer tools years ago. Since then they have been promoting Chrome.

GHM113

User avatar
 
Posts: 617
Joined: December 16th, 2015, 3:59 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 11:43 am

v 5.1.0rc1
=============================================================
+ Restartless (bootstrapped) desktop version, and most likely
the last hybrid (embedded WebExtension) before the pure
WebExtension release

It looks like NoScript WebExtension is close.
I am an idiot. Sorry for my poor English. Current list of config tweaks: https://pastebin.com/1dCT4Cvp

joeg

User avatar
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: October 10th, 2003, 12:37 pm
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Lurtz wrote:
Mark12547 wrote:While extension users in general are just a fraction of Firefox users, they probably tend to be the more "power users" or more technically adept, people others come to for recommendations about browsers, ...

If being a power user is defined as clinging to legacy technology that forces Firefox to be much less performant than other browsers no one should listen to these.

I reckon most power users just abandoned all their precious add-ons and fled to Chrome's much more modern architecture and developer tools years ago. Since then they have been promoting Chrome.
I'm certainly not in a position to comment one way or another, but I'd surmise it's hard to say whether the last sentence is accurate or not.

Since the changes in v.57, I have now switched away from Fx as my main browser and just five minutes ago got rid of beta. This is after about a quarter of a century with Netscape/Firefox.

I've been teaching at two technically oriented universities here in Berlin since 1997, and my students were astounded to see that I've switched to a new browser, although I have it set up to look exactly like the way I had Fx.

When a student asked why, and I explained my reasons, I'm sure at least a couple of the people using Fx jumped ship.

By the way, I think Germany is one of the last "bastion nations" of Fx users.

I won't mention the name of my new browser because I don't want to be accused of evangelism.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest