suddenly can't send from thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ellied1

suddenly can't send from thunderbird

Post by ellied1 »

on the release channel, so 52.3.0 has been working ok on my win7 laptop for a while, last microsoft update was 9/13 and t'bird has worked fine since then. yesterday morning, after sending several emails from t'bird, it threw up a "Login to server smtp-server.roadrunner.com failed." window, then asked for new password. checked to see what was in t'bird passwords---it was correct---lput it in, checked the "use password manager" box, hit retry a few times. no luck. a little later, was able to send a couple of emails successfully after retrying and stuff... but by noon, nothing would go. tried my win7 desktop, again a couple of emails went, then nothing. restarted a few times. rebooted the modem and router. changed to 0auth2 but no luck. changed back. no go. my isp's webmail works fine. gmail works fine. i hope the fix isn''t complicated, i'm not at that level. help?
DanRaisch

Re: suddenly can't send from thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

The fix might simply require...patience. That sort of error can appear if the server is unavailable and Thunderbird tried repeatedly to connect without success. Noe that sending via webmail is not a valid test as it sends through other servers than the SMTP server that Thunderbird must use.
Also try going to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old password for that SMTP server. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you send mail, Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
ellied1

Post by ellied1 »

thanks for speedy reply! i did try that a couple of times on both laptop and desktop yesterday and today, removing the password, closing and reopening thunderbird, putting password back in. no luck. tried again just now. more restarting, etc. no t'bird sending from laptop. but after last shutdown, the desktop t'bird now has sent 3 emails, trying about once every 15 minutes apart. what??? yes, this sort of thing has happened before, at least several years ago, so last nite i contacted my ISP, and harangued them for at least half an hour, to no avail. so..... patience. ok.
dlawrence43

Post by dlawrence43 »

Since updating to 52.3.0 (32-bit) On 2 accounts I can receive email but cannot send. I have a complete system backup on another hard drive. Sam results from booting from that drive. Worked with Spectrum on my twc mail account and the conclusion was my setup is correct in Thunderbird. I have the same problem on my msn.com account. I can send and receive from the web mail accounts.

In both of the above accounts it say connected, but says I have the wrong password. But, password is correct. I checked saved password under options, security, saved passwords and they are correct.

Can I get the previous version back to see if it still works.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software are you running on that system?
rappersmom

Post by rappersmom »

I have been having the same problem for the past 4 days on my Macbook, and believe it is a Spectrum issue (see downdetector.com/status/spectrum). There seem to be a lot of Spectrum customers across the country with the same issue. I spent an hour on the phone with their tech support and there's nothing wrong with my settings or passwords, but I first got invalid password responses, then unable to authenticate responses, and now I am getting "Service not available, closing transmission channel." Having said that, I have one email account that worked fine until today, now it is no longer working. And a new message I just received is "An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: cdptpa-cmomta03 cmsmtp ESMTP server temporarily not available AUP#4600."

Also--my desktop, also using Thunderbird and the same emails, has continued to work until 5 minutes ago and now is no longer able to send emails. My iPhone email program also didn't work until I removed the accounts and put them back on. It still seems to be working for now.

In my opinion the problem isn't us, it's them. I am looking for a new internet company.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In my opinion the problem isn't us, it's them.
One way to confirm that would be to set up a Gmail or Hotmail account and see if you can use their SMTP server to send messages. If you can it will confirm there is an issue with the SMTP process on the original account.
rappersmom

Post by rappersmom »

Okay I tried that (which was hard to find accurate info for, had to trial and error and change Google settings) and the email will go through the gmail server. So that confirms it's a Spectrum problem, I think you're saying.
ellied1

Post by ellied1 »

have tried every fix suggested, several times, no luck. so....how about if i change my outgoing SMTP settings to "no authentication"? would that be a problem? obviously, it sends email that way....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Those settings have to match the requirements of your email provider. If they accept "No authentication" then that would be one solution. Thunderbird doesn't "have a preference" about the issue.
ellied1

Post by ellied1 »

well, Spectrum apparently accepts "no authentication", so now i can send from thunderbird on my laptop. whew!!
rappersmom

Post by rappersmom »

Have tried my Spectrum email every day for a week with no success. Tonight it is working again. The authentication is set at "password, transmitted insecurely." Will be interesting to see if it stays fixed or happens again.
hatesgates

Post by hatesgates »

I've been having the same 'incorrect greeting' error message:
An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: `o220 ME1PR01CA0081.outlook.office365.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL
trying to send from Thunderbird 45.8. The account is a hotmail /IMAP account, other IMAP accounts with my internet provider (skymesh) all send fine. The problem started a few weeks ago September '17, then started to work again, and has now reoccurred.
Anyone any ideas?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

While searching for an answer I found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/out ... 68e?auth=1 , which appears to be your thread on the Microsoft forum. In the future, if you ask for help on other web sites too, please post a link. Its not going to reduce your chances of getting help here, and might be useful for somebody trying to help you.

https://www.drupal.org/node/2654438 seems to be related. It claims "The problem appears to be related to the "from" email address, it has to match the email address of the account you've logged into office365 with". If you weren't using your outlook.com account email address as the From: address in Thunderbird perhaps you need to register your From: address with the outlook.com web site. Another possibility if you have multiple Outlook.com accounts is that they aren't using that accounts outlook smtp server anymore, for some unknown reason.

Another possible workaround is to reconfigure the outlook.com account to use a smtp server from a different email provider. However, if you use a gmail smtp server you need to register the from: address in gmail webmail as an additional from address or it will silently replace the from: address with the gmail accounts from: address. There are only a few popular email providers (AOL is another one) that cause problems if you want to mix and match smtp servers.
hatesgates

Post by hatesgates »

tanstaafi, thank you for the light slap on the wrist about help forum etiquette :) I submitted to both fora as I have no idea whether it is a Thunderbird or a MS issue. Long dealings with MS products made me assume that MS is to blame...
The annoying thing is that the problem happened without any changes to my Thunderbird setup; I have always logged in to my mail account with my original hotmail address (as far as I know, I don't have an outlook.com address). I'll go through the TB setup and check the details of username vs username@hotmail.com etc.
Thanks for your suggestion.
CM