Profile-specific rendering issue

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mikeymike

Profile-specific rendering issue

Post by mikeymike »

I've been noticing recently (in the last 30 days approx only) that some pages aren't loading correctly. First of all I thought it was a site-specific issue because the sites in question aren't ones I frequent, but I've managed to track the problem down to some extent. The issue is consistent.

This page for example:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-GL7 ... fications/

It doesn't load correctly in my main Firefox profile: I get a white background, the top navigation area of the page, a small black area, footnotes below that and site navigation stuff below the the footnotes.

I tried loading it in another profile with a more locked-down configuration. I don't remember all the specifics of its configuration, however this profile has NoScript installed and when I loaded that site with NoScript blocking all JavaScript, I got the same result, then when I allowed asus.com, the site loaded as expected (e.g. same as IE/Chrome).

I then tried loading my main profile in safe mode but I'm getting the same result. I don't use NoScript in my main profile, I just use uBlock Origin, but I've tried disabling that as well to no effect.

Loading a new profile loads the site fine. Adding UBO to the new profile also loads the site fine.

As my main profile took quite a bit of faffing around to have things the way I want them (the addons I have are all UI alterations like Classic Theme Restorer except for UBO, and I also have a custom cookie setup that accepts all cookies then dumps them at the end of the session with an exclusion list for ones that can be kept beyond the session), I would rather not have to recreate my profile in order to fix this problem.

I'm pretty sure that I haven't altered any specific JavaScript settings. I've searched about:config for 'javascript' and 'script' and no settings show up as having been altered.
Grumpus

Re: Profile-specific rendering issue

Post by Grumpus »

Was slow with NoScript enabled but the page loaded complete.
NoScript did see demeter.asus.com and etrk.asus.com as untrusted and also blocked the googletag manager.
NoScript also set up to block Twitter and Facebook.
You may want to look at your NoScript settings and what is blocked when accessing the page as not everything may need to be blocked.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

So you are not using NoScript in your main Profile?
(Then NoScript isn't the issue ;-).)

Are you using (do you have) userChrome.css / userContent.css in your Profile?
They could be blocking, changing styles, affecting what you're seeing.

Safe Mode will disable .css & Extensions.
Does the page display as expected in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

It didn't load properly in safe mode on my main profile. No userchrome.css. Confirming no NoScript in my main profile.

Another interesting symptom is that I have to right-click on trailer links on imdb and open them in a new tab for them to load. Simply left-clicking does literally nothing (ie. no visible reaction to left click).
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

I figured it out. I diff'd the main profile's prefs.js with a new profile I'd been making for the worst case scenario.

dom.storage.enabled = false
results in borky site problems.