[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Im_Special

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu

Post by Im_Special »

Bah, it's nice to see the new pref is in 57 natively, but for those of us on 56, is there not a way? Perhaps a hacky solution? Maybe someone can whip up a quick .css or something with stylish, pretty please. :)
avada

Post by avada »

Im_Special wrote:Bah, it's nice to see the new pref is in 57 natively, but for those of us on 56, is there not a way? Perhaps a hacky solution? Maybe someone can whip up a quick .css or something with stylish, pretty please. :)
I provided a very hacky solution before. (But I guess anything can work that changes the setting at least once on startup)
DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

I am ... confused.

I've just been updated to FF 56, so StayOpenMenu has been disabled. I see references to a 'workaround' that is 'inconvenient' to use it in 56 and followed the links back to earlier in the thread, but I can't see what the workaround is clearly, except that the inconvenience appears to be having to disable then re-enable StayOpenMenu at the start of each session. Well, that's fine by me - my firefox sessions are long, so i don't consider that a very big thing. But ... I don't have a StayOpenMenu to disable/enable. My existing one was autodisabled after the update to 56, and there's no button to enable it again. Am I supposed to override the disable somehow with the current 3.02 StayOpenMenu, and if so how? Or am i supposed to install a later version from somewhere, in which case which version from where? The all-versions AMO page only has older versions on it.

I don't wish to move to the ESR, but I don't want to go to the FF Beta either. I cannot, frankly, even contemplate my normal browsing without a stayopenmenu function - it was only after finding this extension plus one other for another function that's a sine qua non for me to use a browser that I moved to Firefox from Chrome a few years ago. If I can't have bookmark menus from the bookmark bar or bookmark dropdown stay open in 56 (and I really don't mind disabling/enabling each session - that would be fine) then I'll have no choice but to use Chrome again at least until the FF 57 general release.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

@ all those Fx56 users:

(I only recommend moving to ESR if you don't plan to update to Fx57 when it releases.)

Thinking about why the new stayopen version for Nightly 57+ works while the "incompatible with 56 one" requires the disable/reenable annoyance, gave me an idea. If you guys can live without the Ctrl-click option (actually it works on the locationbar, but nowhere else), I've uploaded an alpha for anyone who wants to test. (I no longer have Fx56 installed.) Not listing it on AMO since I've removed Ctrl-click and that's WONTFIX. As I noted in a previous post, laptop users may be able to set a click zone on their touchpad to simulate middle click and use that instead of ctrl-click.

Actually this alpha should also work with Fx57+ (if you're running Firefox Nightly w/ appropriate pref to allow legacy exts), though it runs a lot of potentially problematic code no longer required with the new native pref, so I'm not especially recommending that.

Download Link: http://www.shadetreeapiary.com/extensio ... x%2Bsm.xpi
Last edited by custom.firefox.lady on October 24th, 2017, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Im_Special

Post by Im_Special »

As someone on v56 final (and plans to move to 57 when it's "final" because of few of my current add-ons are still not ready, but will be coming according to their respective developers) I just want to say, thank you thank you thank you :), the wait between 56 to 57 would've been a nightmare for me, workflow was brutally murdered the night I updated to 56 :P, but moving to 57 beta would've did something similar to my workflow either way. But now this will tide me over until 57 and that native pref.
DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

Thank you! That works fine on FF56. I never used ctrl-click anyway, so wouldn't have noticed it not working if you hadn't said; and my laptop, as part of its built in mouse gestures, by default does a middle-click if I tap the touchpad with two fingers together, which is what I've always been using to open bookmarks but leave the menu open with stayopenmeu. So that's perfect for me.

Just one question - when FF57 general release happens, will i manually have to installl the 'proper' StayOpenMenu again, or will a 3.1.1a1 update automatically?
custom.firefox.lady

DavidGB wrote:...Just one question - when FF57 general release happens, will i manually have to installl the 'proper' StayOpenMenu again, or will a 3.1.1a1 update automatically?
No it will not automatically update. At Fx57 release it will become disabled like all other legacy add-ons. What you do depends upon what you need and what channel you're running. If you're satisfied with the new native Fx pref, just set it to false and you can uninstall stayopen. Unless you run Nightly Firefox, that's your only option. On Nightly you can set a pref to enable legacy add-ons and install the 4.x version of stayopen if you want.
lakmee

Post by lakmee »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:@ all those Fx56 users:

(I only recommend moving to ESR if you don't plan to update to Fx57 when it releases.)

Thinking about why the new stayopen version for Nightly 57+ works while the "incompatible with 56 one" requires the disable/reenable annoyance, gave me an idea. If you guys can live without the Ctrl-click option (actually it works on the locationbar, but nowhere else), I've uploaded an alpha for anyone who wants to test. (I no longer have Fx56 installed.) Not listing it on AMO since I've removed Ctrl-click and that's WONTFIX. As I noted in a previous post, laptop users may be able to set a click zone on their touchpad to simulate middle click and use that instead of ctrl-click.

Actually this alpha should also work with Fx57+, though it runs a lot of potentially problematic code no longer required with the new native pref, so I'm not especially recommending that.

Download Link: http://www.shadetreeapiary.com/extensio ... x%2Bsm.xpi
it doesn´t work for me :cry:
custom.firefox.lady

lakmee wrote:it doesn´t work for me :cry:
I've used this without problems on Firefox 56 on Kubuntu. If you can reproduce in a clean profile on Firefox 56, please post exact steps to reproduce. "doesn't work" isn't specific enough, especially since it does work for others. (Note that 3.1.1a1 does not support Ctrl-click.)
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:For those on fx57 Bug 260611 has landed, you can now set about:config pref

Code: Select all

browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu
to false for basic stayopen behavior built-in to fx.

Expecting some confusion (reading the bug's > 100 comments not practical either); here are the details:

The new pref works (with Ctrl-click or middle-click) on:
Bookmarks menu (on the menubar)
items in folders on the Bookmarks Toolbar
items in the Bookmarks Menu Button (no longer on toolbar by default, but still available via Customize)
And w/o modifier on:
'Open in a new tab' context menu item of a bookmark in one of the above locations

It does not work with:
History Menus (requires special handling to avoid bug resulting in wrong item being opened)
Location Bar dropdown (Bug 1364415- requires modifying totally different fx code)
Folders (originally this was to prevent hiding the tabs confirm dialog "opening [way too many] tabs will slow down fx"; in my testing the menu would be closed by the dialog anyway - but uncertain whether that's OS specific)
Recent Bookmarks in the Library Button (Bug 1398992 - requires modifying different fx code which was a moving target)
Ctrl-Enter keyboard support (Bug 1398990 - devs didn't like my implementation and I can't think of a better method)
Thank you for the update

When can the folders support be added?

I like to open folders
eg

private
emails

but ctrl+clicking or middle clicking closes it and Som proved the option to keep it open.
custom.firefox.lady

shellye5 wrote:When can the folders support be added?

I like to open folders
eg

private
emails

but ctrl+clicking or middle clicking closes it and Som proved the option to keep it open.
You mean in native Fx? They haven't decided yet whether that's wanted or not.

If you plan on running Firefox Nightly w/ legacy ext's and unsigned add-ons enabled, I can probably add middle-click support for folders to the 4.x version.

(See available versions and current options on first post)
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:

I like to open folders
eg

private
emails

You mean in native Fx? They haven't decided yet whether that's wanted or not.

If you plan on running Firefox Nightly w/ legacy ext's and unsigned add-ons enabled, I can probably add middle-click support for folders to the 4.x version.

Meant both native aswell as SoM4x

can you add ctrl+click as my middle click buttons is flacky(will get it replaced next week)
Plus on other few machines can only use ctrl+click (laptop with no gestures support/basic track-pad)
Without your addon FF58 is pretty unusable.
custom.firefox.lady

custom.firefox.lady wrote: You mean in native Fx? They haven't decided yet whether that's wanted or not.

shellye5 wrote: can you add ctrl+click
Will check when I get a chance. If it's just copying over a bit of code from 3.1.1a1 to 4.x, yes. If not, no. Ctrl-click is mostly broken in 3.1.1a1, but I never checked whether that applies to folders. Although I'm not supporting/recommending its use on 57+, you could try installing it to see if that works for you. See below quote from my previous post. If it causes issues, disable/remove. Nightly users ought to know how to deal with bugs <grin>.
custom.firefox.lady wrote: Actually this alpha should also work with Fx57+, though it runs a lot of potentially problematic code no longer required with the new native pref, so I'm not especially recommending that.
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

The SoM4x does not work on folders
Maybe you can fix it soon.
custom.firefox.lady

shellye5 wrote:The SoM4x does not work on folders
Maybe you can fix it soon.
I never said that it did. Did you try 3.1.1a1?