Cache Setting for Best Performance....

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Banditz71

Cache Setting for Best Performance....

Post by Banditz71 »

What is the current thinking in regards to the best Cache setting for the best overall performance? I have a fairly fast computer with a 400 meg Internet connection.........Thanks!
Richard H.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Cache Setting for Best Performance....

Post by malliz »

Just use the default
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Banditz71

Post by Banditz71 »

Thanks! What is the default now? (I made a change and don't remember what it was.......)
Richard H.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Right mouse button click on the setting and chose re-set
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Banditz71

Post by Banditz71 »

Thanks!
Richard H.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Just be aware that you're helping the ad industry to track you across the web and to build a profile of your surfing habits by not clearing the cache. This is because caching saves various elements used on sites so that your browser doesn't have to download them again from the server. However, those elements can also contain tracking pixels.

Unless you're on a metered connection, or live somewhere out in the middle of nowhere and have to rely on a 56k modem for your web connection, maintaining the browser cache isn't going to improve performance to any noticeable degree and it's better to delete it when you close Firefox.

You can configure FF to clear the cache automatically by typing (or copy/paste) about:preferences#privacy in the location bar and then hit Enter. Checkmark the option to clear history when Firefox closes and then click the Settings button. Here's a picture of the menu you'll get and the way I have it setup on my own system: https://i.imgur.com/RFrj56e.png
Banditz71

Post by Banditz71 »

Well, one reason I asked my original question was that I "thought" I'd heard in the past some saying they were just turning off / setting to "0" the cache .... I have a 400 meg connection, so speed certainly isn't an issue.
Richard H.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Banditz71 wrote:Well, one reason I asked my original question was that I "thought" I'd heard in the past some saying they were just turning off / setting to "0" the cache .... I have a 400 meg connection, so speed certainly isn't an issue.
As far as I'm aware it'll be retained at the nominal 350MB for the foreseable future. Firefox needs some kind of cache to work properly in any event.

If you have the Self-Destructing Cookies extension installed then you can configure it to clear the cache when FF is idle. I have mine set to 1 minute and haven't noticed any performance issues. Here's a pix of the setting in the Options menu: https://i.imgur.com/acDdudp.png

But the extension unfortunately won't make it to a WebExtension I regret to say.
Banditz71

Post by Banditz71 »

OK, thanks!
Richard H.