How to Change "Page Bookmarked" Popup Box Size

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dougjp

How to Change "Page Bookmarked" Popup Box Size

Post by dougjp »

It appears both the Edit Bookmarks Here and the Edit Bookmark Plus add-ons are both broken by FF56. Like (I would have to guess) everyone, I pick what folder I want to bookmark anything. Rumour has it FF 57 will go further and destroy the ability to choose anyplace?

This has to be the biggest annoyance of Firefox at the moment. This little Page Bookmarked box opens up after choosing Bookmark This Page. The box cannot be resized. As far as I've been told, I can't pick the default size of this box either? So when bookmarking something I have to scroll way down my folder list. And then when it adds a bookmark, its added to the bottom of what often is a long list to scroll down, rather than at the top!

Is there any way to resolve any of these problems at present, and furthermore, will any solutions fail again with FF 57?
dougjp

Re: How to Change "Page Bookmarked" Popup Box Size

Post by dougjp »

I have reverted to FF 52 and begun testing Opera, on the assumption adding a bookmark where and how I want it in FF 57 will not be easy or even possible. Although I hope FF will not abandon us and come up with some functionality so as not to lose users.

One specific question. When I add a bookmark to Opera, it is added to the top of my chosen sub-folder by default, which is the only logical and practical place. In FF 56 with the add-ons mentioned above no longer working, any new bookmark is added to the bottom of the sub-folder. That could be a long scroll down a list, and out of sight when trying to re-find it. Is there any way to change this to add all new bookmarks to the top of whatever sub-folder I decide to place it in? Perhaps some line I haven't found in about:config or wherever?
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Copy/paste the following into your userChrome.css

Code: Select all

#editBookmarkPanel #editBMPanel_rows > row[collapsed="true"] { visibility: visible !important; }
This is what you'll get: https://i.imgur.com/tES1QRh.png
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

Reflective wrote:Copy/paste the following into your userChrome.css

#editBookmarkPanel #editBMPanel_rows > row[collapsed="true"] { visibility: visible !important; }
This is what you'll get: https://i.imgur.com/tES1QRh.png
Looks a bit better but presumably doesn't change functionality (ie; placing a new bookmark at the top of a sub folder list). Plus its all useless with FF 57 anyway.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

It won't matter since a userChrome.css file will also perform the same way on FF57+

It might be possible to tweak the code to have a bookmark placed in a particular folder, but I haven't tried it yet.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Here's an extension which will work, but it's legacy: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... mark-plus/

There's a gripper in the bottom left hand corner which can be used to expand the size of the box. Worth considering if you intend to stick with ESR until that falls by the wayside.

The only hope after that will be Waterfox which according to this ghacks article will support legacy extensions beyond ESR's expiry date next year.
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

Reflective wrote:Here's an extension which will work, but it's legacy: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... mark-plus/

There's a gripper in the bottom left hand corner which can be used to expand the size of the box. Worth considering if you intend to stick with ESR until that falls by the wayside.

The only hope after that will be Waterfox which according to this ghacks article will support legacy extensions beyond ESR's expiry date next year.
Thank you, that's really helpful. Certainly that extension solves the box size problem, making it easier to find the folder I want as the destination. Unfortunately it does nothing to stop the bookmark being added to the bottom of the folder list where it isn't visible and therefore gets lost, unlike at the top of my list.

The strange thing is other browsers do add a new bookmark to the top of a folder list.....

Its very interesting about Waterfox too. Anything to expand the time so that we can see what if any bookmarking options and features exist in FF 57.
therube

Post by therube »

(
"Page Bookmarked" Popup Box Size
Looking at it, messing with it a bit now, it is ridiculously small.
)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Make box taller, works in Nightly:

/*** Page Bookmarked / Edit This Bookmark Tweaks ***/
/* Folder list box taller */
#editBMPanel_folderTree {
  height: 300px !important;
  min-height: 300px !important;
}
MarkRH