Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
SLK350

Re: Changes in Firefox 57

Post by SLK350 »

Is it possible to make a webextension that autohides "bookmarks-sidebar" when moving cursor to the edge of the screen just like Omnisidebar does? Omnisidebar is basically the only extension I will really miss if it can't be done.
Corsair Obsidian 500D * AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X * ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING * G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Flare X * Samsung 970 Pro 1TB * Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm * Benq BL3201PT * ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB DUAL OC * Creative Soundblaster X7 * Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

joeg wrote:I'm certainly not in a position to comment one way or another, but I'd surmise it's hard to say whether the last sentence is accurate or not.

Since the changes in v.57, I have now switched away from Fx as my main browser and just five minutes ago got rid of beta. This is after about a quarter of a century with Netscape/Firefox.

I've been teaching at two technically oriented universities here in Berlin since 1997, and my students were astounded to see that I've switched to a new browser, although I have it set up to look exactly like the way I had Fx.

When a student asked why, and I explained my reasons, I'm sure at least a couple of the people using Fx jumped ship.

By the way, I think Germany is one of the last "bastion nations" of Fx users.

I won't mention the name of my new browser because I don't want to be accused of evangelism.
Can only be a Firefox fork if looks exactly like your old Fox. I don't see too much future for those, for most users anyway who want to experience rich web content.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Lurtz wrote:Can only be a Firefox fork if looks exactly like your old Fox. I don't see too much future for those, for most users anyway who want to experience rich web content.
I'm no expert, and as Yogi said,

And for our German speakers, „Prognosen sind schwierig, besonders wenn sie die Zukunft betreffen.“ :lol:
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Prof. Martelo

Post by Prof. Martelo »

SLK350 wrote:Is it possible to make a webextension that autohides "bookmarks-sidebar" when moving cursor to the edge of the screen just like Omnisidebar does? Omnisidebar is basically the only extension I will really miss if it can't be done.
Use the code in this page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/com ... ui_addons/
impar

Post by impar »

JOJ0 wrote:Just tested Bookmarks Organizer:
On v56 it completes the scan, the animation still doesnt stop (that behaviour was already communicated to the developer, just check the reviews on AMO.), there is no way to edit or delete the duplicated bookmarks found shown in the first page of results, only in the second page and following. Only addon active was "Bookmark Organizer".
Compare that to "Bookmark Deduplicator"-legacy with a way faster scan and auto delete of the more recent bookmark.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Bookmarks Organizer from Sören tested yesterday - its really slow on ~2500 bookmarks. (checking online).
the preperation make firefox and my system laggy. too bad there exist no alternative and IMO converted chrome extension wont work - if there wee any, currently i dont find any.
avada

Post by avada »

Brummelchen wrote:i dont need DTA, more a decent youtube extension replacement for magic actions
Have a look at https://github.com/YePpHa/maia-yt
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

Brummelchen wrote:Bookmarks Organizer from Sören tested yesterday - its really slow on ~2500 bookmarks. (checking online).
the preperation make firefox and my system laggy. too bad there exist no alternative and IMO converted chrome extension wont work - if there wee any, currently i dont find any.
For me with 1319 it's not slow. But my nightly setup is cleaned from legacy add-ons, i do not use any legacy with the flip switch available.
Have you tested with only that add-on enabled to see if there is no conflicts? do you have legacy add-ons enabled?
Edit: Ok, just tested both 56 release in neck to neck with Nightly 58. 56 is somewhat slower but here I have some legacy add-ons enabled. I would assume you are referring to broken bookmark search as the slow perceived one. And I need to ask. What is your expectation for ~2500 http requests to check if the bookmark is live or dead? Try to open all at once in the browser will it be faster? ;)
morat

Post by morat »

Is the extensions.legacy.enabled preference only for Fx Nightly 57, not Fx Beta 57?

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57

I tried settings the following preferences in the about:config page.

extensions.allow-non-mpc-extensions = true
extensions.legacy.enabled = true
xpinstall.signatures.required = false

I tried the mozilla.cfg hack that works with Fx Release 56. The developers disabled eval() with Components.utils.import() in Fx Beta 57.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14755881

I haven't tried the manifest.json hack yet.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14764715

I haven't tried editing the omni.ja file. Fx Beta 57 isn't using brotli compression.
therube

Post by therube »

Is the extensions.legacy.enabled preference only for Fx Nightly 57, not Fx Beta 57?
Correct.
(That's basically what this says, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14768130.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
impar

Post by impar »

JOJ0 wrote:For me with 1319 it's not slow. But my nightly setup is cleaned from legacy add-ons, i do not use any legacy with the flip switch available.
Have you tested with only that add-on enabled to see if there is no conflicts? do you have legacy add-ons enabled?
Edit: Ok, just tested both 56 release in neck to neck with Nightly 58. 56 is somewhat slower but here I have some legacy add-ons enabled. I would assume you are referring to broken bookmark search as the slow perceived one. And I need to ask. What is your expectation for ~2500 http requests to check if the bookmark is live or dead? Try to open all at once in the browser will it be faster? ;)
I was only refering to duplicate bookmarks. In your v56 try "Bookmarks Organizer"-web-ext and "Bookmark Deduplicator"-legacy. Feel the speed difference.
That said, currently I have 12.720 bookmarks so the speed difference is quite noticeable.
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

Please excuse my emotional answer but OMG. ~13K bookmarks ... Did I miss an auto bookmark add-on .. ;) Mine are literally my whole internet history for more than 20 years of history plus work related as I did stupid thing to have one account on both installations, but with W10 and MS sync is all the same when you register your account on work installation. Anyway for 13k it should be slow at present time based on the method used. I would be submitting feature request if I was on your place.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

some people collects even more - 2500 is only my working profile, for fun i have ~25.000 in another profile. looking towards Bookmarks Organizer... currently i am using checkplace (mod) and this one is fast although it includes some added search&replace code.

the dup-check in BO seems fast (for #2500).

long ago i had a bookmark checker from outside whichw as only capable to check the bookmarks.html file and it took a really long time to check them online.
Melchior82

Post by Melchior82 »

lol.. yeah MOZILLA HAS DOOMED US ALL!! ;) :P
They have thrown ALL of use XUL/XPCOM/LEGACY extension users and devs under the BUS as it were...! >_>

I use...
I AM am running Firefox 20 extensions...
[Legacy Extensions] = 12
[Web Extensions] = 8

meh...

I have... 1,598 BOOKMARKS!!! LOL :P ;)
Last edited by Melchior82 on September 30th, 2017, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Do grow up seriously lols went out with the nineties and using all caps is just rude
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"