56.0 Has No "Add Bookmark Here" Option!!!???

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
NonSuch

56.0 Has No "Add Bookmark Here" Option!!!???

Post by NonSuch »

Why is there no longer an "Add Bookmark Here option"? This important function is missing in Firefox 56.0, in both the 64 and 32 bit versions. It never even occurred to me that this was deliberate... not until I checked all the computers in the house! Unfortunately, I wasted hours of my time trying to find a solution to this "problem" before I checked the other computers and was shocked to find that it was not a problem after all, but a deliberate action on the part of Mozilla. I am stunned by this show of incompetence.
JayhawksRock

Re: 56.0 Has No "Add Bookmark Here" Option!!!???

Post by JayhawksRock »

Never was an option... its an Extension > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... mark-here/ ......but it may not be updated for Firefox 56
Looks like the Dev may have left the room with Elvis
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

The extension still exists and claims it is compatible with Firefox 56, but not with later versions.

Edited to add: A later post in this thread says it doesn't work in 56.

If you are referring to right_clicking on a Bookmark folder and seeing the context menu item, "Bookmark this page", that has been gone for some time. Instead, when you click on the star the current page will be bookmarked and a pop-up will appear where you can decide to put the bookmark if you have a specific spot to place it. (If there is no star on the screen, usually on the same line as the address bar, it can be added back by going into Menu -> Customize and dragging the star back on the line with the address bar. In Firefox 57 and later the star will be inside the address bar and will appear when the tab is displaying a web page.)
Last edited by Mark12547 on September 30th, 2017, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

JayhawksRock wrote:Never was an option... its an Extension > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... mark-here/ ......but it may not be updated for Firefox 56
Looks like the Dev may have left the room with Elvis
That developer has indeed left the building. But someone else took it on as Add Bookmark Here² - the AMO page claims it works with 56, but it actually doesn't.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -2/?src=ss

There's a long thread in Extension/Theme Releases: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 8&t=522643
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

You can also hit CTRL+D which launches the bookmark dialog box so that you can move the bookmarked page to another folder if you wish.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

NonSuch wrote:Why is there no longer an "Add Bookmark Here option"? This important function is missing in Firefox 56.0, in both the 64 and 32 bit versions. It never even occurred to me that this was deliberate... not until I checked all the computers in the house! Unfortunately, I wasted hours of my time trying to find a solution to this "problem" before I checked the other computers and was shocked to find that it was not a problem after all, but a deliberate action on the part of Mozilla. I am stunned by this show of incompetence.
I am stunned that a user who's been around Firefox since 2004 doesn't realize that "Add Bookmark Here" was part of an extension - never part of the base build of Firefox.

Do you know what Red Foreman would have called that user?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
NonSuch

Post by NonSuch »

Well, what's interesting for something that was an addon is that it miraculously appeared on other computers with a brand new installation of Firefox with no addons installed.

Appreciate all the input, but it's too bad the extension no longer exists.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i am not sure if the API behind will existing or is planned. current bookmark buttons are not allowed to boomark elswhere except in "Other Bookmarks". there also do not exists any api to read out favicons from places.
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

Brummelchen wrote:i am not sure if the API behind will existing or is planned. current bookmark buttons are not allowed to boomark elswhere except in "Other Bookmarks". there also do not exists any api to read out favicons from places.
Can you explain this further? I think I may be misunderstanding you. Under the current release (56.0), I can bookmark a site and put the bookmark in any folder I want using the dialog box. Also, I am still capturing the favicons as normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can drag the tab to the Bookmarks Menu button (Show your bookmarks; drag it out of the Customize palette to the toolbar) to open the drop-down list and drop the link in the position you want it to appear.
If you have the bookmarks sidebar open then drag it to this sidebar.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@8-bit - i am currently using Firefox 57 where legacy extension like you use are not accepted any longer (disabled forever).
ofc its anytime possible to use ctrl+d and selected a target folder (were "other bookmarks" is selected by default), but as pointed out add-to-bookmars is buggy.

concerning favicons
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3033101
costark

Post by costark »

Brummelchen wrote:@8-bit - i am currently using Firefox 57 where legacy extension like you use are not accepted any longer (disabled forever).
ofc its anytime possible to use ctrl+d and selected a target folder (were "other bookmarks" is selected by default), but as pointed out add-to-bookmars is buggy.
I'll Miss steering the Bookmark to a Target Folder with the STAR, BUT BOTH - ctrl D - AND - dickvl's Drag Tab to Desired Folder - just worked -- so THANKS.....

RECENTLY BOOKMARKED & Subscribe to this page are -- GRAYED-OUT by design -- or something's wrong???
Last edited by costark on October 4th, 2017, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

Brummelchen wrote:@8-bit - i am currently using Firefox 57 where legacy extension like you use are not accepted any longer (disabled forever).

concerning favicons
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3033101
I am not using this particular extension (of the OP), maybe that's why I was a bit confused by your answer.

Many thanks for your reply!
johnk860

Post by johnk860 »

This is/was one of the best addons I've used. Served a REAL need and of great value. I'd gladly kick in for a compatible update. Mozilla? Talk to this guy. Get him to reinvest his time and then sell the app like they do on google apps. Its worth it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking due to the age of the original posts.