How to protect a tab from being closed in Firefox 57+ ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
max2

How to protect a tab from being closed in Firefox 57+ ?

Post by max2 »

I can't find any web extension for this.
MarkRH

Re: How to protect a tab from being closed in Firefox 57+ ?

Post by MarkRH »

Well pinning a tab will make it stay there on reboots and it doesn't show a close button on the tab when you select it. You still can right-click on the tab and close it though. Are you looking for something more than this?
max2

Post by max2 »

MarkRH wrote:Well pinning a tab will make it stay there on reboots and it doesn't show a close button on the tab when you select it. You still can right-click on the tab and close it though. Are you looking for something more than this?
Yes please.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

There is always an undo possible if you accidentally close a tab unless you use Private Browsing mode.
Pinned tabs won't last a session in PB or if you clear the history when you close Firefox.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you probably miss the tmp function "lock tab" - there exist no replacement as webextension.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

max2 wrote:
MarkRH wrote:Well pinning a tab will make it stay there on reboots and it doesn't show a close button on the tab when you select it. You still can right-click on the tab and close it though. Are you looking for something more than this?
Yes please.
Would this help? Can be configured either just for the last closed tab or a user-set number, in the same way as in TabMixPlus. Works in 57+.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ab-button/
The Penguin

Post by The Penguin »

Mozilla programmers like to proclaim that this brand new edition of Firefox is a complete revamp and improvement ... NOT! It is becoming more and more Chrome-like, faster with few user customization helps. I never can figure what motivates these continued changes making FF unusable, like Chrome.

So we can't protect tabs any more, can't control what links open new tabs or overwrites existing tabs, etc., etc. What an embarrassment. I gave 57 a try for a couple days, then upon discovering all the limitations and lost capabilities for users, I've gone back for the umpteenth time to earlier versions - now an ESR version. Chrome is completely useless and Firefox is 99% there.

So sorry, but you just can't do what you want with tabs any more.
Last edited by The Penguin on December 5th, 2017, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Penguin
Retired, but still CEO
of My Recliner
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

more and more Chrome-like
concerning security and stability - ofc. but firefox is the master of extensions, there is more usefull stuff on AMO than in chrome store and firefox is much more flexible than chrome. although the ability to screw firefox with extension in look and feel is reduced now, firefox has userchrome as css and js which was never possible for chrome.

so people complaining about and switching to chrome never had experienced the REAL difference. if some only wants a browser - in such cases maybe chrome may be the better choice.

>> Undo Close Tab Button

i am running this, and close all tabs from same dev, Tab Session Manager, OneTab (for special sessions). coloured tabs would be nice ore another progress bar, but that is not really needed for comfortable browsing. l

locking and protecting tabs is TMP feature, maybe firefox is getting this when other nifties are cleared.

>> idiot programmers

go here and call devs again "idiots"
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

i wont count on it you to stay long time there. btw firefox is open source - change code and compile it yourself - if you dare and capable of.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Ketchup22 wrote:Mozilla programmers like to proclaim that this brand new edition of Firefox is a complete revamp and improvement ... NOT! It is becoming more and more Chrome-like, with few user customization helps. I never can figure what motivates these senseless, idiot programmers to keep ruining Firefox so badly. Why don't they just apply some TNT and get it over with.

So we can't protect tabs any more, can't control what opens new tabs or overwrites existing tabs, etc., etc., etc., etc. What an embarrassment. I gave 57 a try for a couple days, then upon discovering all the limitations and lost capabilities for users, I've gone back for the umpteenth time to earlier versions - now an ESR version. Chrome is completely useless and Firefox is 99% there.

So sorry, but you just can't do what you want with tabs any more.
Despite reduced functionality it's still more usable and customisable than Chrome. And the so-called Chrome clones, such as Opera that I'm using right now and Vivaldi are more usable and way more customisable than Chrome.

(And no, I've not abandoned Firefox, just living in Opera for a while. Firefox 57 is also open and running.)
Bob4K

Post by Bob4K »

Brummelchen wrote:
>> idiot programmers

go here and call devs again "idiots"
They are not idiots.
They are very clever people that sometimes make incomprehensibly stupid choices. The guy who decided that protecting a tab is not essential must have had a brain fart this day, probably the same that made unusable thousands of legacy add-ons.
As for "going into the code source", that's guys like the Waterfox developer have done.
But even him has the same brain fart, his quantum version can only make a handful of legacy add-ons work.
Must be contagious...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

This coming from someone who posted to a two year old thread :roll:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking to the age of the original posts and the declining quality of the discussion.