Replace tabs question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jsal0318

Replace tabs question

Post by jsal0318 »

Is there any chance someone could create an extension that will replace existing tabs with new ones instead of adding to them for FF 57? IMO, there should be an extension that does this. Does anybody else agree with me?

Your thoughts?
Reflective

Re: Replace tabs question

Post by Reflective »

jsal0318

Post by jsal0318 »

Reflective wrote:Something like this you mean? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... on/?src=ss
no, i mean if i have a set of tabs opened, i want new ones to replace the one that are already opened instead of adding on to the ones that already opened.

thx
Last edited by jsal0318 on October 2nd, 2017, 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you already asked that in conjunction with tabmix plus - the answer is same: no
jsal0318

Post by jsal0318 »

Brummelchen wrote:you already asked that in conjunction with tabmix plus - the answer is same: no
Does that mean it is impossible to do or someone could develop it if they wanted to? That is what I am referring to.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

If you have a tab open, and you want to open a different page in that tab, you can follow a link or bookmark in that tab. Or if you have a tab open containing a page you don't care about any more, you can close it. What am I missing? Why would an add-on be needed?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

no means no to all. and none would develop it right now for firefox 56 as a legacy extension - i told you that before, all your work now is gone with firefox 57. and no, there currently exist nothing to do so in v57. again for you: no means no for all
you can follow a link or bookmark in that tab
that is the first option in any firefox - open tab, open in new tab, open in new window, open in new private window.
but as you pointed out: that tab where to load has to be selected by user.

should not to difficult to have it understood right now :roll:
jsal0318

Post by jsal0318 »

Brummelchen wrote:no means no to all. and none would develop it right now for firefox 56 as a legacy extension - i told you that before, all your work now is gone with firefox 57. and no, there currently exist nothing to do so in v57. again for you: no means no for all
you can follow a link or bookmark in that tab
that is the first option in any firefox - open tab, open in new tab, open in new window, open in new private window.
but as you pointed out: that tab where to load has to be selected by user.

should not to difficult to have it understood right now :roll:
And I am suppose to know someone might not develop one for FF 57? ](*,) :evil:
jsal0318

Post by jsal0318 »

jscher2000 wrote:If you have a tab open, and you want to open a different page in that tab, you can follow a link or bookmark in that tab. Or if you have a tab open containing a page you don't care about any more, you can close it. What am I missing? Why would an add-on be needed?
Try the extension openintabs-erase and you can see what i want to do but with ff 57.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

get firefox 57, maybe as portable, and read yourself:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... abs-erase/

where is the matter instead asking over and over again?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

jsal0318 wrote:Try the extension openintabs-erase and you can see what i want to do but with ff 57.
Oh, THAT. I'm so glad they made that change! It was infuriating to get all your tabs replaced when using Open All in Tabs.

I guess the closest you can get using built-in features is: right-click a tab > Close Other Tabs. Then use the Open All in Tabs. You end up with one extra.

I don't think it's possible in WebExtensions to change how built-in menu items function. There are extensions that show an alternate view of bookmarks that might be able to add such a function, but reviews on bookmark extensions indicate they are slow to use, so perhaps that would be more trouble than it's worth.
jsal0318

Post by jsal0318 »

Brummelchen wrote:get firefox 57, maybe as portable, and read yourself:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... abs-erase/

where is the matter instead asking over and over again?
nah, I think waterfox will fix my issue as openintabs-erase will still work.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking as the OP is no longer using Firefox.