How Do I Add Spacers to My Address Bar?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
killz

How Do I Add Spacers to My Address Bar?

Post by killz »

How do I add spacers to my address bar when I customize it?
MarkRH

Re: How Do I Add Spacers to My Address Bar?

Post by MarkRH »

Uhm, go to customize and drag a spacer to where you want it. Now, inside the URL bar where you type, I'm not sure you can really.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

I usually want more display space in the address bar, so in my case I ended up going into Hamburger menu -> Customize and drag the flexible space from both sides of the address bar back to the pallet. Without the flexible space, the address bar grows to occupy as much space as is available on that line.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Spacers were removed in Firefox 29. Classic Theme Restorer enables spacers, but will cease to function when FF57 is released.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

If you only want extra spaces this thread may help ....
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3032911
Mud is good!
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Reflective wrote:Spacers were removed in Firefox 29. Classic Theme Restorer enables spacers, but will cease to function when FF57 is released.
FF57 includes flexible spacers you can use. Uses two of them in the address bar by default (not for inside the address bar but between any of the elements on it).
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Mark12547 wrote:I usually want more display space in the address bar, so in my case I ended up going into Hamburger menu -> Customize and drag the flexible space from both sides of the address bar back to the pallet. Without the flexible space, the address bar grows to occupy as much space as is available on that line.
Long ago I removed the Search box to maximize the URL bar. I do my searches from bookmarks.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

If you know how to use userChrome.css, add this to it and change the number of px to whatever you want.

Code: Select all

#urlbar-container{
  max-width: 400px !important;
  min-width: 400px !important;
}

BTW, this will continue to work with FF57+

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can add a flexible space at the position you want it via customization mode.
Then you can edit the browser.uiCustomization.state pref and replace "customizableui-special-spring" by "customizableui-special-spacer" or "customizableui-special-separator" depending on what type you want.
Leave the trailing identifier that needs to be unique to make these special items work.
Close and restart Firefox to update the Navigation Toolbar.
Once such a spacer is present on the toolbar you should be able to move it around or remove (right-click: Remove from Toolbar) it just like with other items.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

dickvl wrote:You can add a flexible space at the position you want it via customization mode.
Then you can edit the browser.uiCustomization.state pref and replace "customizableui-special-spring" by "customizableui-special-spacer" or "customizableui-special-separator" depending on what type you want.
Leave the trailing identifier that needs to be unique to make these special items work.
Close and restart Firefox to update the Navigation Toolbar.
Once such a spacer is present on the toolbar you should be able to move it around or remove (right-click: Remove from Toolbar) it just like with other items.
I need some guidance dickvl. I created a brand new profile and without making any other about:config changes I attempted to enable a custom spacer to appear in the customization menu, but it didn't work.

Here's the code for the default setup for a new profile which doesn't contain the "customizableui-special-spring" setting which you mentioned by the way:

Code: Select all

{"placements":{"PanelUI-contents":["edit-controls","zoom-controls","new-window-button","privatebrowsing-button","save-page-button","print-button","history-panelmenu","fullscreen-button","find-button","preferences-button","add-ons-button","developer-button","sync-button"],"addon-bar":["addonbar-closebutton","status-bar"],"PersonalToolbar":["personal-bookmarks"],"nav-bar":["urlbar-container","search-container","bookmarks-menu-button","downloads-button","home-button","pocket-button"],"TabsToolbar":["tabbrowser-tabs","new-tab-button","alltabs-button"],"toolbar-menubar":["menubar-items"]},"seen":["pocket-button","developer-button"],"dirtyAreaCache":["PersonalToolbar","nav-bar","TabsToolbar","toolbar-menubar"],"currentVersion":6,"newElementCount":0}
To that I added "customizableui-special-spacer18" which is one of those which is present in the profile I normally use and which I assume was placed there by CTR.

Here's a pix of the bare bones customization menu in the new profile which as you can see is devoid of any spacers: https://i.imgur.com/UxIKuYO.png

So does the custom spacer need to be placed at a particular spot in the browser.uiCustomization.state pref and if so, where exactly?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox 52 doesn't have any of the special items like a spring or space in the Customize palette.
If you temporarily install CTR then you can use this extension to add these items more easily without the need to use these hacks.
All Firefox release support these items natively, but support for the user interface (customization mode) has been removed.
Firefox 57 supports only the flexible spring item and not the others so you need to modify browser.uiCustomization.state, but CTR supports all three and you can use customization mode.
You can uninstall CTR once you are done and have the spacers on the toolbar.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

dickvl wrote:Firefox 52 doesn't have any of the special items like a spring or space in the Customize palette.
If you temporarily install CTR then you can use this extension to add these items more easily without the need to use these hacks.
All Firefox release support these items natively, but support for the user interface (customization mode) has been removed.
Firefox 57 supports only the flexible spring item and not the others so you need to modify browser.uiCustomization.state, but CTR supports all three and you can use customization mode.
You can uninstall CTR once you are done and have the spacers on the toolbar.
OK, that's where the confusion came from then. I didn't realize ESR was missing those customization options.

I know it doesn't matter at the mo because I'll continue to use CTR while ESR supports it, but was looking to the future and what options will still be available then.
Negativeions

Post by Negativeions »

I don't understand the search bar... Wouldn't it be better to have a pulldown menu at the end of the url bar to change search engines? I think an separate search bar is archaic. I always just type in whatever I want to search in the url bar.