problems starting downloads on certain sites (Linux OS)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ginahoy

problems starting downloads on certain sites (Linux OS)

Post by ginahoy »

I recently built a new Linux machine (my first experience with Linux). I'm running Firefox 55 and I'm having problems on a few sites starting downloads.

I sought help in the Linux Mint forum on two separate occasions, but the replies alway suggest using apt-get from the command line. Apparently no one knows how to troubleshoot a browser download issue.

Here's an example of a site where download won't start: https://www.plex.tv/downloads (any platform / version, same result)

I get the 'open or save' dialogue box but when I click 'Save File', the box disappears and nothing happens. Normally I'd get an OS prompt to select a destination path. I tried in Safe Mode as well. This is the 2nd time I've experienced this exact problem (the previous was for Java download, which I later decided not to install).

Anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

BTW, in both cases, downloads from these sites start normally on my old XP machine (FF52 ESR)
therube

Re: problems starting downloads on certain sites (Linux OS)

Post by therube »

You're choosing, Platform -> Linux?
And then further, Distribution?
And from that you see either a .deb or .rpm to select?

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

The Plex package isn't in the standard Ubuntu/Mint repositories.
If it exists it might be in one of the available PPAs which the folks in the Mint forum may help you locate or try Sourceforge.
It looks like the page is set for Apple and IE=Edge but no Linux mentioned. 33 errors 9 warning and some items which do not complete properly.
It would be a .deb package if it starts to download it should show in the panel the package type if you set /Edit/Preferences/downloads/always ask where to save downloads.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

therube wrote:
Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Yeah all those download options WFM....LINUX or Windows..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

@therube, as I said in my original post, I did try safe mode. Also, as I said, it doesn't matter which platform or distribution I select... they all have the problem of not downloading when I select the "Save file" option. The site doesn't say it's a .deb file, however, the Firefox "open of save" dialogue box shows the complete filename at the top, which is how I knew the filetype.
Grumpus wrote:...the folks in the Mint forum may help you locate or try Sourceforge.
As I said, I was able to download the file on my XP machine and it's already installed. My objective here is to find a general solution for this problem of download links not working on my new Linux machine. Since it's already occurred twice in the short time I've been using my this machine, I'm sure it will happen again. FWIW, here's the other page where the "Save File" option doesn't work.
...if it starts to download it should show in the panel the package type if you set /Edit/Preferences/downloads/always ask where to save downloads.
As I said, when I select package, the "open or save" dialogue box" opens (I have my download preferences set to always ask), but that doesn't mean the download has started. The next step should be the OS pops up a file 'save-as' dialogue box so I can designate a destination folder. But that doesn't happen so the download never starts.

Last night I noticed if I select "Open with" instead of "Save file", the download does start. However, that's no help if my objective is to download the file! But perhaps a clue?

If someone has a Linux machine (especially Ubuntu), it would be helpful to know if the "Save File" option works on the above-linked Plex or Java download pages.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ginahoy wrote:If someone has a Linux machine (especially Ubuntu), it would be helpful to know if the "Save File" option works on the above-linked Plex or Java download pages.
Yep, the Save As option works fine with the site you linked to. Try clearing your cookies for the site.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

I have my browser set to remove cookies upon closing (except for a select list, protected by cookiekeeper addon). Any any case, I moved my cookie file to another location and got same result. However, I just discovered that the "Save file" option works if I load a clean profile! This is odd since download fails in Safe mode.

What else in my default profile could cause a download to fail on a specific site?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Maybe try to disable the OS file picker and use a simple builtin file picker.
about:config -> ui.allow_platform_file_picker = false
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

dickvl wrote:about:config -> ui.allow_platform_file_picker = false
Thanks, but that didn't resolve the problem. But it's almost certainly an about:config setting. The problem is, my prefs.js files is 236kB. which I imported that from my XP machine. It goes back probably 9 years. I would hate to have to start with a clean profile. How would I ever remember all the tweaks and changes I made to the config over that many years! I'd rather live with the download problem. So far I've only encountered 2 sites where the "save to" option didn't work. I can always open a clean profile if that happens again :)