[SOLVED] v56 64bit keeps restoring sessions after reboot

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mr.Tom

[SOLVED] v56 64bit keeps restoring sessions after reboot

Post by Mr.Tom »

I've upgraded to v56 64bit a few days ago. I was using v56 32bit and followed the directions on upgrading. Installed 64bit then uninstalled 32bit.

But ever since then when I boot my computer in the morning and run Firefox it keeps wanting to restore a previous session even though I closed Firefox and verified the process wasn't running before I shutdown.

Is there an entry somewhere in a .pref file that keeps making FF think it needs to restore a session?

EDIT: I just experimented again and opened two separate windows (not tabs). I closed the two windows and verified with Process Hacker that Firefox wasn't running. Shut down the computer and booted back up and when I ran Firefox it restored both windows to the pages I was previously viewing. I have Show Your Home Page selected, and browser.startup.page is 1.
Last edited by Mr.Tom on October 4th, 2017, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: v56 64bit keeps restoring sessions after reboot

Post by DanRaisch »

Tools->Options->General->Startup->When Firefox starts->select something other than "Load windows and tabs from last time."
d90001

Post by d90001 »

Tools->Options->General->Startup->When Firefox starts

The only setting that stops it from restoring previous session is "Show your home page"

Setting it to "show a blank page" will still start with previous session.
James

Post by James »

d90001 wrote:Tools->Options->General->Startup->When Firefox starts

The only setting that stops it from restoring previous session is "Show your home page"

Setting it to "show a blank page" will still start with previous session.
Then you may have a Tab or session related extension installed?
d90001

Post by d90001 »

I have not added or changed any extensions from the prior version. This issue only began when it updated to 64bit 56.0

Can you try to duplicate it on your end?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You wouldn't have to install any new extensions. It could be an extension that was there before the update but is not fully compatible with the updated version of the browser.
therube

Post by therube »

Check your desktop shortcut.
What is your "home page" set to?

As a test, create a new, clean Profile. Open it, what happens?
when I boot my computer
Is it only then that it happens, or is it after every FF close, then reopen?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Mr.Tom

Post by Mr.Tom »

therube wrote:Check your desktop shortcut.
What is your "home page" set to?

As a test, create a new, clean Profile. Open it, what happens?
when I boot my computer
Is it only then that it happens, or is it after every FF close, then reopen?
My desktop shortcut goes to the proper "program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe". And my homepage goes to my company website.
I don't want to destroy my profile by creating a new one or refreshing this one. I like my history and everything as it is.

The only add-ons/extensions I have are Adblock Plus and NoScript. And it only happens after a reboot. When I close Firefox and run it again it works as expected. But every morning when I turn on my computer and run Firefox I get the restore session window. I didn't add or remove anything from Firefox 32bit. I just did the 64bit install and uninstalled the 32bit version.

EDIT: I just did a log off and logged back on and ran FF and it restored all 3 windows I had open prior to closing all 3 and verifying firefox.exe wasn't running and logging off.
Where does Firefox store the web pages you have open? Maybe it's not being cleared out when I close FF.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Do you shut Firefox before shutting down/rebooting? Because Firefox needs time to close and if not shut down or given time to close will see that as a crash state and restore your last session
Last edited by malliz on October 4th, 2017, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Mr.Tom

Post by Mr.Tom »

malliz wrote:Do you shut firefox before shuting down/rebooting? Because Firefox needs time to close and if not shutdown or given time to close will see that as a crash state
Yes, I shut down Firefox and verified the process wasn't running anymore.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't want to destroy my profile by creating a new one or refreshing this one. I like my history and everything as it is.

You won't destroy your existing extension by creating a new one. You will simply add a second, alternate profile which can be used to test Firefox's start up after a reboot. The original profile will still be present and it's possible to switch back to that original when you wish.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Mr.Tom

Post by Mr.Tom »

DanRaisch wrote:

You won't destroy your existing extension by creating a new one. You will simply add a second, alternate profile which can be used to test Firefox's start up after a reboot. The original profile will still be present and it's possible to switch back to that original when you wish.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Oh snap. I found the issue. It doesn't seem to be with Firefox. I have CCleaner running on boot up and I just experimented and found that clearing the Session makes FF think there's a crash, or CCleaner does corrupt whatever it does to FF 64bit. CCleaner didn't cause this issue using FF 32bit. I was using CCleaner 5.15.5513 and just updated to 5.35.6210 and still the same issue. So my fix is to uncheck Session in CCleaner for Firefox.

But it still seems Firefox should clear whatever windows I had open when I close all windows and all firefox.exe processes end. It seems even though you close Firefox there's still a log being saved somewhere of what web pages you were viewing and had open.
DanRaisch

Re: [SOLVED] v56 64bit keeps restoring sessions after reboot

Post by DanRaisch »

That's for recovering from a crash, which Ccleaner is simulating.

You might want to commit some time to searching the forums for references to the many problems that Ccleaner causes when allowed to mess with a Firefox profile. Here's just one == http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14760895