Cookies vanish??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Happy112

Re: Cookies vanish??

Post by Happy112 »

Bennyd wrote:
Thanks, but there is no little black arrow on or adjacent to the Permissions box.
Oh Benny : not adjacent to the Permissions box, but on the right side ABOVE that box - it's a tiny arrow, I admit, but it's there.
And then, you click on 'More Information' and you'll see the Permissions tab.
That's where you allow cookies for that site.

(This is totally putting me off cookies ...... )
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

OK, I just wanted to be sure what settings you have and don't have. Not every one here is as savvy as you.
one more thing: do you have a program like CCleaner or similar set to delete cookies when you run it?

Otherwise, it's some kind of glitch in their website, I think, unless someone comes up with a better explanation.

I had a workaround when I was losing mine often. I took a screenshot of my Preferences and printed it so I could restore them fast.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Happy112 wrote: the Permissions tab.
That's where you allow cookies for that site.
(This is totally putting me off cookies ...... )
It gets the settings from Options>Privacy, so it's just showing you what you had already set. You don't have to fool with it.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I want my Zap2it cookies, accept them and keep them. Y'all might can have some cookies, but no Zap2it cookies.
Not sure any of this will help in the long run... and I don't specifically know how you have your Options set up in Firefox ... specifically the Privacy area nor do I know what extensions you have that may mess with cookies... but I will say this....

Long ago I used Cookie Monster and it seemed to take a lot of work in dealing with it and the pages that I was on... all I wanted was to accept cookies for sites and/but keep those cookies for special sites ... and have the other cookies removed when I closed a tab... what I did was this... and BTW it's worked out perfectly... with no loss of any important cookies...

I first removed Cookie Monster, cleared out ALL my cookies, installed the add-on Self Destructing cookies and then proceeded to visit all the sites where I wanted to always keep cookies and when doing that the extension has (via its icon) the option to always keep those cookies. I just clicked on that option and for all of them... and that was all that I had to do.

Now, when I visit any site... sites like my bank, or in this case the TV site...the cookies are there... all others are gone when I close the tab... or Firefox.

Self-Destructing Cookies :: Add-ons for Firefox

You could always create a test profile and load that extension and play with it... see what you think.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@ Bennyd :

I may have seem overly persistent, trying to make you understand how the Control Center works, but I only did so, because you might need it some day.

Maybe this article will do a better job than I did :

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... nfo-window
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I didn't know that "Permissions lets you override options preferences." That makes for a lot of confusion, if you can set it in one place, and change it in another, and not remember what you did where.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Special permissions means that you made changes to the default settings as shown on the "Tools -> Page Info -> Permissions" page.
You will notice a small notch (one o'clock) attached to the Control Center 'i' icon to indicate this.
It is usually better to create a specific allow cookie exception for the involved top domain with the correct protocol if you really want to keep settings and not rely on the default expire cookie setting.
Bennyd

Post by Bennyd »

Happy112 wrote:@ Bennyd :

I may have seem overly persistent, trying to make you understand how the Control Center works, but I only did so, because you might need it some day.

Maybe this article will do a better job than I did :

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... nfo-window

Naah. Not overly persistent at all, I appreciate the help.

One of the nicest things about FF is this forum where honest help is given to even dumb questions. My TV schedule is not the most important issue in the world, yet others help to try to fix the issue.

At this point, I'm just going to see what happens; maybe Zap2it has (or will get) their stuff together; besides, it's free.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@ Bennyd :

I know it's a cliche, and may sound corny even, but I'm going to say it anyway :
There's no such thing as a dumb question - only dumb answers.

You're a nice guy, and to me that's a rare breed, an (almost) extinct species.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

This forum is why I'm sticking with Firefox (or seamonkey) after the November earthquake.

I've never clicked on the "i" or the dot. But it's the same as rt-clicking on the page and bringing up "View page info."

So isn't Self-Destructing Cookies then redundant?