Cannot load a particular page on a site

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Reflective

Cannot load a particular page on a site

Post by Reflective »

The following site is the FX rates page of a Thai bank which I use to check exchange rates. For some unknown reason the page partially loads for a split second and then reverts to a blank page: https://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Rate/Pa ... hange.aspx

I tried it in safe mode and also created a new test profile but it behaves the same way. However, it loads correctly in IE11 so I'm assuming that it might be related to ESR which I'm using.

Could someone please check it with either FF55+ or with a prior version other than ESR 52.4.0 As far as I can remember it was working with ESR 52.3.0
TheVisitor

Re: Cannot load a particular page on a site

Post by TheVisitor »

Loads OK here on latest Nightly.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

TheVisitor wrote:Loads OK here on latest Nightly.
Hmmmm... looks to be related to ESR 52.4.0 then if a brand new profile doesn't fix it.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Anyone else with ESR 52.4.0 have the same problem as I do?
Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

I just got the same results with ESR 52.4.0 when I tried your link.

I run NoScript and block everything, but I allowed everything for this site. I also disabled uBlock Origin for that site, to no avail. Every refresh shows the page starting to load, and then it goes blank.

Mike
Quack! Quack!
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Duck_Dodgers wrote:I just got the same results with ESR 52.4.0 when I tried your link.

I run NoScript and block everything, but I allowed everything for this site. I also disabled uBlock Origin for that site, to no avail. Every refresh shows the page starting to load, and then it goes blank.

Mike
Thanks Mike. It would appear from what you mentioned that ESR 52.4.0 is the culprit.
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

I have a few old versions of Firefox portable:
40.0 through ESR 52.3 all seem to fail.
36.0 and 37.0 work, except all colors are gray.
29.0 and 34.0.5 work. Colors are correct.

Chrome 44 and Chromium 49 partially work. All colors are gray.
therube

Post by therube »

That's a strange one.
Has something to do with "styles", but what, haven't a clue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

It looks good if layout.css.filters.enabled is changed to false.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Lnwdz wrote:It looks good if layout.css.filters.enabled is changed to false.
You're a genius my friend!

But how on earth did you figure that one out if you don't mind me asking?
therube

Post by therube »

Suppose the bigger question is why the page is as it is that it requires a change to that Pref - obviously its defaulted to what it is for some reason, & how might flipping it affect other websites?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It's the site and how busy it is, initially got a server timed out and on a retry the page loaded.
Gotta figure there's a lot of connections going on.
layout.css.filters.enabled set to true on my system.

You might try and extend the connection time in about:config by boostingthe numbers a little for the following:
network.ftp.idleConnectionTimeout - try 600
network.http.keep-alive.timeout - try 600
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

therube wrote:Suppose the bigger question is why the page is as it is that it requires a change to that Pref - obviously its defaulted to what it is for some reason, & how might flipping it affect other websites?
When I was trying to troubleshoot it this morning I thought that perhaps the IP might have changed and tried to navigate to it via the home page. That's when I noticed the whole site was grey like Lnwdz mentioned in another post earlier. On that occasion though I couldn't find the link to the FX rates even.

But since the Thai government had instituted a color ban on all sites for a whole year to mourn the death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej I figured it had something to do with that. But with the Pref change that now loads in its normal colors as well. Weird.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Grumpus wrote:It's the site and how busy it is, initially got a server timed out and on a retry the page loaded.
Gotta figure there's a lot of connections going on.
layout.css.filters.enabled set to true on my system.

You might try and extend the connection time in about:config by boostingthe numbers a little for the following:
network.ftp.idleConnectionTimeout - try 600
network.http.keep-alive.timeout - try 600
Resetting layout.css.filters.enabled back to its default "true" reintroduces the problem again. If it was a timeout issue why does that particular pref correct it Grumpus?
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

I've never heard of a color ban! It does explain the color problem.

How I arrived at that pref: I tried changing View > Page Style to "No Style" and text appeared. So I looked through the css prefs and saw one that had "filters" in its name, and guessed that a filter would be needed to change colors to grays. So it was mainly a guess. And it's still unknown exactly why the page is blank for some of us when the pref is true.

Firefox 34 had color because its pref was false by default.