The first official 20171004 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Re: The first official 20171004 builds are not yet out

Post by sciguyryan »

streetwolf wrote:Webrender is getting better everyday. I'm on then latest inbound and besides the white screen when starting Fx most sites work nicely. Wikipedia on the other hand has some jerkiness when scrolling as I'm sure other sites do too.
The font on gmail is still killing it for me. They still look awful and blurry. That said in all it's very impressive and relatively stable. Moreso than I would have expected given the age of the project.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

TheVisitor wrote:Latest hourly m-c win32 build has changed something in the tab-strip. Have not investigated deeply yet but the tabs are shrinking down to a very small horizontal size putting 25 tabs on the strip 'without' a scroll. This change will hit today's Nightly.

EDIT: looks like its probably bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1404465
Add browser.tabs.tabMinWidth to control minimum tab width, and set to 50 by default (looks like from the patch the original min was 100)

Pref to control width in about:config browser.tabs.tabMinWidth

Looks like more 'Chromification' to me...

I now have 26 tabs open and the 'Active' tab only shows the Favicon and the close button. Way too narrow, I suspect there will be lots of negative feedback on this one.
I have TMP set a min width of 85 and max of 180 with width set to adjust to title. It allows more tabs to be in view without wasting unnecessary space. 50 however is WAY too little.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Chrome!
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

I like readding "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" preference to about:config. I was using it when Chrome didn't even exist.
I was using it to see more tabs in window, as most wesbite pages I can distinguish by their favicon.

Before readding and after removing "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" preference in about:config,
I was using ".tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned])[fadein]{ min-width: 48px !important; }" in userChrome.css,
next I was using it too, when it was implanted in Classic Theme Restorer extension.

What's more, more control is better.
But I understand frustration of users, especially when developers forcing users to change very old behavior.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

The minWidth setting ist even synced. I like that.
alex_mayorga

Post by alex_mayorga »

¡Hola!

Is it just me or are tabs on Nightly too easy to tear off as of recently?

Known bug? :-k

¡Gracias!
alex_mayorga

Post by alex_mayorga »

¡Hola Alice0775!

Could you please help find the regression for https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1396911 ?

¡Gracias!
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

alex_mayorga wrote:Is it just me or are tabs on Nightly too easy to tear off as of recently?
I've had that problem for a few months. I've been blaming my track pad.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Can any of you Linux users reproduce this bug in Nightly (64-bit)?
  • Start Firefox Nightly (64-bit) in Safe Mode.
  • Type in an address that you have never visited, and wait for the page to load.
  • Click on the star to bookmark that address.
  • Look at the bookmark. It lacks the favicon.
  • Either refresh the page, or use the bookmark to navigate back to the page. The bookmark now has the favicon.
It's reported this bug doesn't appear if the web page had already been visited (in history).

This was reported at https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... n_quantum/

I am running Nightly (64-bit) under Windows 7 (64-bit), but I am seeing the favicon on the bookmark as soon as the bookmark is created (either by clicking on the star or by dragging to the Bookmarks Toolbar), so I am wondering if this is a platform-specific bug, or some rogue setting, or a profile issue. (I had posted suggestions on the reddit thread, at least to try a new profile for testing purposes.)

Thank you for whatever additional information you can provide!
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

I tried Safe Mode and a new profile on Linux. In every case the bookmarks of new pages had favicons as soon as the bookmarks were created.

With the Bookmarks side-bar open I could see the favicon appear when the bookmark appeared. I also tried without the Bookmarks side-bar open and the favicon was present the first time I checked.

I wondered whether a redirect (from a typed "cnn.com" to displayed "www.cnn.com" (or even https://... in some cases) so I tried entering the full redirected URL (from another profile) and I still saw the favicon appear immediately.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Thank you, bjherbison! I'm going to wait and see if a new profile or refreshing the profile helps the two who have ran into the lazy bookmark favicons. (They hadn't responded as of this post, but then I don't know their continent, let alone their timezone.)
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

http://de.ign.com/star-trek-discovery/1 ... -was-nicht

Does this site freeze the corresponding content process for you? It loads fine in Chrome, though with a lot of errors.

Too much recursion in bundle_ign.js.
ander13

Post by ander13 »

Lurtz wrote:That's horrible. One of the reasons Chrome can never be my main browser is the unusable tab strip.

I really hope they keep this optional or I don't know what I'll do.

Edit: After reading the ticket it mostly sounds like a migration option for Chrome users (and maybe the new standard setting), but keeping the option alive, probably even in about:preferences.
Completely agree. Last update introduced ugly Chrome tab strip...
I have relatively small number of tabs (about 100) but this change makes tabs completely unusable.
Peja Stija

Post by Peja Stija »

Really nobody can reproduce ?
The media player controls are consistently broken.
Example url : https://mp3s.nashownotes.com/NA-969-201 ... -Final.mp3
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Peja Stija - I was seeing it too once or twice, but I can't reproduce it anymore
Bug 1405543 - The in-browser media player for Firefox Quantum doesn't render properly
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.