Accessing from another location

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
firefoxuse

Accessing from another location

Post by firefoxuse »

Hello!

It happens some times that I bring my laptop to a new location and I try to access my email accounts via a new IP/location.

This results in being flooded by prompts to enter again my passwords for my email accounts, because Google, Yahoo etc blocked access because it thinks I have been compromised.

How can I stop these popup floods in TB and just tell it to stop trying to logging to these accounts for the time being until I fix it via web browser?

If I click CANCEL to stop these popups it keeps poping them again! And there is no way to put them in the background and work with TB!!! Is any TB developer listening??
thanks!
WaltS48

Re: Accessing from another location

Post by WaltS48 »

Have you tried enabling the Menu Bar and using File > Offline > Work Offline?

EDIT: Also available from the Menu Button.

EDIT#2: Or just click the icon in the lower left corner of the Status Bar.

It might be best to do that before you head out to the new location, then enable working online when you get back home.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
firefoxuse

Post by firefoxuse »

WaltS48 wrote: EDIT#2: Or just click the icon in the lower left corner of the Status Bar.
good one
WaltS48 wrote: It might be best to do that before you head out to the new location, then enable working online when you get back home.
not good, I need to work in other locations at some times
firefoxuse

Post by firefoxuse »

Still there is no solution. I want TB not to try to reconnect numerous times after the login doesn't work.

Is there a solution to this?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I ran into similar problems with Thunderbird while using a VPN with my gmail and outlook.com accounts. It thought somebody on the other side of the country had my password. I got frequent new security exceptions from Thunderbird and occasionally got locked out by gmail/outlook and had to login using a browser and explicitly confirm the stolen password login was made by me. Yahoo, fastmail, comcast, vivaldi, gmx and zoho accounts didn't have a problem. As far as I can tell its not a problem due to Thunderbird, its that some email providers have some annoying security features that you can't disable.

According to https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... eGmDszgw18 you can't turn off suspicious behavior detection in gmail but you can avoid the problem by enabling 2-step verification on your account and using a app-specific password. I don't know if that is true. A more likely possibility is enabling it where rather than using a app specific password you configure it to send a SMS code that you have to enter in Google Authenticator. That's too much of a hassle for me.

I used PureVPN as my vpn and had several long chat sessions with support where I reconfigured my software to try to workaround that. The only useful suggestion they made was to enable split tunneling (so that select applications such as Thunderbird didn't use the VPN) but despite several more chat sessions that never worked correctly. Some day I might try a free trial of other VPN software to see if split tunneling works with them.