Saved old settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Saved old settings

Post by ep2012 »

So my TB is very corrupt & when I went to export mail (not settings) using the add-on import/export, it showed me mail accounts that had been deleted or the settings had been replaced when I moved hosters. We are talking 11 years old & most of the accounts had no mail in them.

Is this normal that TB keeps mail accounts or mail from years ago even though you've deleted them?

Also when trying to drag multiple folders into one folder, it didn't work. When I tried it again, it said the folder already existed there even though it wasn't there. How can we delete the temp folder that is telling TB it's there when it's not?

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Re: Saved old settings

Post by tanstaafl »

Deleted messages aren't physically deleted until the folder is compacted . They are merely marked deleted and hidden from view. When you delete an account its mail folders are kept, but ignored. It was only recently that a checkbox was added in recent versions to provide the option of deleting them when deleting an account. The reason why the folders were kept (when deleting an account) is to avoid somebody losing their mail if they deleted the wrong account or they changed their mind about deleting the account.

If you drag and drop a folder and TB complains the folder already exists, you need to copy/move its contents instead.

What do you mean by temp folder? I'm not aware of one begin specified in "copies & folders". Typically the only reason you can't delete a folder is its a special folder like the inbox or its specified in "copies & folders". In most cases specifying a different folder in "copies & folders" lets you delete the folder.
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Re: Saved old settings

Post by ep2012 »

Temp folder - my website coder was helping me & he doesn't know TB, so he just thought the .msfs were like temp folders.

Thanks for the info, but I still think something is wrong b/c I had this issue again where it told me that the e-mail account already existed. After rebooting my computer the problem self-corrected.

Have a lovely night.
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!