Incoming Server Already Exists Error

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Incoming Server Already Exists Error

Post by ep2012 »

So...

I went to add an e-mail to my account (gmail) & after clicking the advanced config button with IMAP b/c the "Done" button is missing (we think it's b/c I'm working offline), it didn't do anything. I clicked the button again & got this error above, I switched it to POP, SAME error :(

http://s972.photobucket.com/user/michel ... e.jpg.html

Closed the windows, tried again, nothing. I ALWAYS have these issues with TB where it tells me something already exists when it doesn't. That's folders I try to drag to another folder, & now this.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this & fix this bug that seems to be prevalent all throughout TB.

Thank you
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Re: Incoming Server Already Exists Error

Post by tanstaafl »

It sounds like you are trying to create a second POP account for the same email address. Thunderbird expects each mailbox to be specified by a unique combination of the account type (POP or IMAP), mail server, and username. You can have multiple Gmail POP accounts with the same server, but they need to have different usernames. You can have a POP and IMAP account for the same username on the same server. You can't have two POP accounts with the same username and mail server.

Why were you clicking the advanced button? If you wanted to add a Gmail IMAP account it should have defaulted to that. It looks like you pressed the POP radio button and then the advanced button to change some other settings. That would cause the error you mentioned if you already had a Gmail POP account for that username.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

No I don't have these accts. in my TB at all. I'm adding them in now one at a time.

Like I mentioned, I can't create IMAP accts. for my gmail accounts b/c there's a bug in the 45.8.0 version I am using that wants me to log into gmail & when I click "Next," it doesn't go anywhere.

I tried it with another gmail acct. of mine & it just didn't do anything. I didn't click the button again b/c I didn't want the same error to pop up. :(

And the button I'm clicking isn't advanced, it's advanced config b/c the "done" button is missing. That's the ONLY way I'm able to add these accounts in.

This is all very stressful for me & I've been at this for 12 hours now. I've never had these issues before. Other issues, yes, these, never, although I've never used IMAP before, but it doesn't work even with POP.

Why being in offline mode would cause these problems I don't know, & I won't know if it's that for sure until I turn it back on.

I hope you understand now :)
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

So for everyone who wants to know what happened, it was b/c I was working in offline mode. The min. I turned it on, I could add gmail accounts.

Thanks tanstaafl

Be well.