Local Folders - POP & IMAP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Local Folders - POP & IMAP

Post by ep2012 »

Hi,

So I'm switching almost all my mail over to IMAP. I can't change the gmail accounts due to some bug TB had & I don't want to update to the next version b/c of add-ons I need.

BUT, I tried to find the instructions on how to point some of my accounts to load incoming mail to my local folders inbox & the instructions I saw made no sense to me & I'm SURE I never did them before b/c they sound really complicated. Granted this was YEARS ago that I set up these accounts & any time I've tried to fix TB, I've usually just copied the profile over & never added the accts. in one by one like I'm doing now.

Can you please send me the instructions for IMAP on how to point some of the accts. incoming mail to local folders.

Also I point all my e-mail accounts to separate folders on my E drive. If I do that to an account that DLs mail to my local folders, does the incoming mail get stored that e-mail acct's folder, or the local folders? I just thought of that.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Re: Local Folders - POP & IMAP

Post by tanstaafl »

"Can you please send me the instructions for IMAP on how to point some of the accts. incoming mail to local folders."

You could create a message filter that automatically moves all new mail to the inbox in Local Folders. Something like "Subject" "isn't" "xyz1234567890" "Move message to" "Inbox on Local Folders"
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

But again, I never had mail filters doing this before, did something change? Or is it just b/c it's IMAP & not POP?

But I can't find anything in the POP accounts either :(

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't understand what you meant by never had mail filters doing this before. Please elaborate.

The filter/rule I suggested should work with both POP and IMAP accounts. The only real requirement is that you didn't hack prefs.js to eliminate the "Local Folders" special account and that the message has a Subject: header.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

I mean before with my old TB acct. I am pretty positive I never set up a mail filter just to get mail going into my local folders. I'm pretty sure there was a setting in account settings to make it go in there, just like you can send "sent" mail to the local folders, etc.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

IMAP accounts will store incoming mail in the IMAP account folders, not under Local Folders, unless message filters are used to move those messages upon receipt. That's the nature of the IMAP email protocol and not a limitation of Thunderbird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

ep2012 wrote:I mean before with my old TB acct. I am pretty positive I never set up a mail filter just to get mail going into my local folders. I'm pretty sure there was a setting in account settings to make it go in there, just like you can send "sent" mail to the local folders, etc.
POP accounts can be configured to use a global inbox using Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings -> Advanced. That hides the account in the folder pane and uses the folders in "Local Folders" instead of the accounts folders. Perhaps that what you remembered. IMAP accounts don't support global inboxs.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:
ep2012 wrote:I mean before with my old TB acct. I am pretty positive I never set up a mail filter just to get mail going into my local folders. I'm pretty sure there was a setting in account settings to make it go in there, just like you can send "sent" mail to the local folders, etc.
POP accounts can be configured to use a global inbox using Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings -> Advanced. That hides the account in the folder pane and uses the folders in "Local Folders" instead of the accounts folders. Perhaps that what you remembered. IMAP accounts don't support global inboxs.
Yes, that's what I remember.

Oh :(

Why don't they support that? So I have to create a brand new e-mail?

I ended up just doing a forward in CPanel <sigh>

Thanks