Problem with Junk folder (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JayceyF

Problem with Junk folder (Mac)

Post by JayceyF »

I have a problem with emails going into Junk. This is mostly happening with emails with a filter which moves them into a folder - which also includes an action to actually mark them 'Not Junk' ! There is one particular sender that this happens with nearly every time, others not so much, but also some regular emails which aren't junk but somehow seem to bypass my inbox. (I've just had a row with someone about an email they didn't reply to - it turns out they did, but the reply had gone into Junk! I haven't actually set up a filter for this person yet, but all other emails they sent me went safely into my Inbox - then I moved them into a folder. Just this last one had gone straight to Junk? So of course I didn't think of looking in there.)

What I don't understand is how random this is - some emails start suddenly going into Junk and then the next ones don't, and some filtered ones only seem to work sporadically. I wondered about putting 'Set Junk Status to - Not Junk' into every single filter, but it doesn't seem to work anyway (and surely I shouldn't have to?). For the filtered ones, I can always run my Inbox filters on my Junk folder - but again, I shouldn't have to (and this doesn't pick up the unfiltered ones of course). FYI some of the troublesome emails are from subscribed mailing lists - but if I have a filter set up, surely that shouldn't make a difference?

Has anybody got any suggestions, please? (Thanks in advance!) [-o<
Last edited by DanRaisch on October 6th, 2017, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added (Mac) to subject line.
----------------------------------------------------
Mac OS X Mojave v. 10.14.6
Thunderbird 68.12.1
DanRaisch

Re: Problem with Junk folder

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Make sure that you have set Thunderbird to recognize messages from those in your address books? That's menu path Tools → Account Settings->Junk Settings->"Do not automatically mark mail as junk if the sender is in:".
2. How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
JayceyF

Post by JayceyF »

DanRaisch wrote:1. Make sure that you have set Thunderbird to recognize messages from those in your address books? That's menu path Tools → Account Settings->Junk Settings->"Do not automatically mark mail as junk if the sender is in:".
2. How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
1. Yes - and everything is ticked.
2. All my accounts are IMAP.
Thunderbird 68.12.1
JayceyF

Post by JayceyF »

Bumping because I think I've been forgotten - sorry! (I still have the problem!)
Thunderbird 68.12.1
JayceyF

Post by JayceyF »

I'm bumping this again because I STILL have this problem, and it's getting worse! It's driving me round the bend? (It's so bad, that I keep having to run my Inbox filters on my Junk folder - which isn't great, because I tend to forget!) Important messages are going straight into Junk more often than ever, which is getting me into all sorts of trouble. Surely somebody else must have experienced this? I can't believe there isn't a way round it...
](*,)
Thunderbird 68.12.1
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Right click on the name of the Inbox folder for that account and select "Properties" from the context menu that appears, then click on the "Repair Folder" button.
JayceyF

Post by JayceyF »

Just done that - we'll see what happens when the next batch come in?
Thunderbird 68.12.1