5.7.1 error with Yahoo email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rabbit51

5.7.1 error with Yahoo email

Post by rabbit51 »

Sorry to post again this topic, I've read other similar posts and they seemed not working in my case. So let me try to explain my problem here:
1) I have 2 yahoo email account, one with xxx@yahoo.com and the other yyy@ymail.com
2) both are set the same way in TB (I'm not that familar with email setup, so maybe overlooked some places)
3) only having problem with yyy@ymail.com, the other worked just fine, I checked both account security setting on the Yahoo side, and it seems to be the same.
The error message I got when trying to send email is: An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 Authentication required. Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again.

How can I fix this annoying problem?
Thanks in advance for your comment/suggestion
Michael
DanRaisch

Re: 5.7.1 error with Yahoo email

Post by DanRaisch »

See if this thread helps resolve the problem for you -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1166437
rabbit51

Post by rabbit51 »

DanRaisch wrote:See if this thread helps resolve the problem for you -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1166437
Thanks for your prompt reply, tried the 1st solution, and after change and relaunch TB, I got the following warning:
mail server for yyy@ymail.com is not a IMAP4 server, and the 2nd option the password is the same as it should be.
Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The suggestions in that link were relating to the SMTP server (outgoing) and would have nothing to do with whether the incoming server was POP or IMAP. Were you making those changes under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)?
rabbit51

Post by rabbit51 »

Thanks for your clarification, my bad, I should have looked down further, that's it, this solved one problem, now I have a different problem, not sure if it's related, the message got sent, but seems the TB couldn't make a copy to the Sent folder (timed out), this is error I got:
There was an error saving the message to Sent. Retry?
should I create another post?
Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
rabbit51

Post by rabbit51 »

The server type is set as IMAP and the server name is set as imap.mail.yahoo.com.
Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies and Folders->what is selected as the target for storing Sent messages?
Do you need to access that account from more than one computer?
rabbit51

Post by rabbit51 »

the target for Sent messages is in Sent folder in yyy@ymail.com, I'm accessing this account from only one computer, but sometimes from TB, other time from yahoo, does it matter?
Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As long as you are only accessing the account from the one computer you could change that target to the Sent folder under Local Folders. That would avoid any problems involved in uploading the outgoing message to the Yahoo server's sent folder. Also, do you have whatever security software you are using set to NOT scan outgoing messages? Scanning outbound email can cause lags in sending and provides no security to you.
rabbit51

Post by rabbit51 »

I've changed my antivirus apps to not scan outgoing email, but still the saving failed for that account, so I'll follow your suggestion to save to local instead to server. Thanks so much to explaining so patiently the steps to solve the problems.
Michael
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, Michael. Hope things work properly for you now.