Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Melchior82

Re: Changes in Firefox 57

Post by Melchior82 »

fits79 wrote:yes you are correct.
This:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -download/
doesn't support youtube 1080p and more download so it's useless.
yes it does...! :P
1080p because of the transcoding infrastructure needed..
gets passed to his server which combines the separate video and audio streams together..
to get access to it a one time donation.. and MAKE sure to save/bookmark the cookie activation page in case you need to reactivate it
I use CCleaner to save specific cookies..
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

fits79 wrote:I don't like the ublock. Ui is toooo poor compare with adblock plus.
There is a development release of AdBlock Plus available on the AMO beta channel that is WebExtensions (compatible with 57+):
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sions/beta
fits79

Post by fits79 »

So there is no way to make tabs appear at the bottom of the window as i can do with tab mix plus now.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Some people are always complaining, who needs these silly old Legacy Extensions ?
"Start Your Engines"

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

So there is no way to make tabs appear at the bottom of the window as i can do with tab mix plus now.
it is possible -> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3033887

its something with
-moz-box-ordinal-group:
but i can not say which number you have to insert.

as said extensions are no longer allowed to modify firefox settings or dialogs or UI, you have to do with userchrome (css or js) as long XUL is part of firefox. ofc that will vanish in the future.

a kind of bulk-image downloader
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... extension/
Mozilla’s Pick of the Month!
Tab Center Redux
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ter-redux/

Move your tabs to the side of the browser window.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
fits79

Post by fits79 »

Does ad-block plus supported at new firefox 57?
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

fits79 wrote:Does ad-block plus supported at new firefox 57?
you'll have to use the BETA of Adblock Plus or use Ublock Origin

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ostpopular then click on Development Channel
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I've just been trying out Firefox 58 and what a truly underwhelming experience it is.

All that work and effort by Mozilla and for what? To create a browser with no discernable advantage over Otter/Midori/Qupzilla/Chromium/Vivaldi, etc? If that was the aim then they have succeeded very well.

Point is, all browsers allow web content to be messed around with, so you have a level playing field there. Performance? Firefox 58 seems no faster* or more responsive than others I've tried, but is using a lot of RAM to do even what it does.

Browser-wise, once you remove the ability of the user to change the appearance and/or functionality of the browser's UI, then you're stuck with whatever default behaviour the browser has and, quite frankly, my dear, in Firefox 58 the default UI features are not a million miles away from every other browser and are even behind in some areas.

As some are aware, I am far from convinced about how long userChrome.css will be retained, so don't intend to waste time on that side.

Bravo, Mozilla, on a massive and pointless non-event in a 'Microsoft Release Windows Vista' type way..

*(just as a fwiw, Midori is faster than this, for example)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Frank Lion wrote:I've just been trying out Firefox 58 and what a truly underwhelming experience it is.

All that work and effort by Mozilla and for what? To create a browser with no discernable advantage over Otter/Midori/Qupzilla/Chromium/Vivaldi, etc? If that was the aim then they have succeeded very well.

Point is, all browsers allow web content to be messed around with, so you have a level playing field there. Performance? Firefox 58 seems no faster* or more responsive than others I've tried, but is using a lot of RAM to do even what it does.

Browser-wise, once you remove the ability of the user to change the appearance and/or functionality of the browser's UI, then you're stuck with whatever default behaviour the browser has and, quite frankly, my dear, in Firefox 58 the default UI features are not a million miles away from every other browser and are even behind in some areas.

As some are aware, I am far from convinced about how long userChrome.css will be retained, so don't intend to waste time on that side.

Bravo, Mozilla, on a massive and pointless non-event in a 'Microsoft Release Windows Vista' type way..

*(just as a fwiw, Midori is faster than this, for example)
>To create a browser with no discernable advantage over Otter/Midori/Qupzilla/Chromium/Vivaldi, etc? If that was the aim then they have succeeded very well.

The fact is that there is now no "discernible" advantage IS the whole point. Before, FF used to be much slower than Chrome.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Melchior82

Post by Melchior82 »

meh...
I don't use Firefox for its speed alone!
its the unique customizations possible via the "SUPERIOR" XUL Extension system :P ;)
and as Mozilla has continued to mess with an already great UI before they changed it to the australis ui...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grantius wrote:The fact is that there is now no "discernible" advantage IS the whole point. Before, FF used to be much slower than Chrome.
You see a sign in my front yard saying 'Dead Fool Storage'? Did you see a sign? No, because there isn't one that's why.
2015 wrote:None of the three browsers did significantly better than the others. ...
...The good news is that as long as you’re using one of the Big Three, performance is solid. There is certainly room for improvement, but Chrome, Firefox, and Edge are all quite capable.
https://venturebeat.com/2015/09/10/brow ... x-vs-edge/

You want to remind me, Grantius, what the whole point IS again?
fjutt

Post by fjutt »

To bra frank, the main reason for me to use Firefox is that it is made by Mozilla. A non-profit organization, that really wants to keep the web open, so it is possible to actually write something like firefox, and keep the web not completely governed by the big corporations. The way it was when IE had 90+% market share is something I never want to go back to, and I worry that Chrome is getting there. To find web sites that only work in one browser, and to not be able to have a validator for your html that follows a standard is not great.

This alone would make me use Firefox even without add ons, customization or anything really. That Firefox right now to me is just as fast as the other browsers, uses less memory (for me, on Linux, the way I use it), and allows greater customization than the other browsers are good things on top of this, but really, it is the rendering engine that matters.

Was Firefox better before (I've used Firefox/Mozilla since Milestone 18 or Mozilla, as Netscape was not that great back then)? I do not know, but probably not for me. For me going to for example Australis was never an issue, I did not even install the add on that allowed revering many of the changes (classic theme restorer or whatever it is called). I will lose a few add ons when 57 is released, but I will not really have any major issues, and even if the difference between Firefox and Chrome is a lot smaller than the difference was between Firefox and IE back in the days, I still feel it is important to use Firefox, and help keep the web open.

This is just my view, there is not right answer of course, but for me, that is the whole point of using Firefox. Forks of Firefox probably would serve the same purpose, but to keep the browser attractive for people that care less of this, Firefox needs resources, and by using it Mozilla makes a little money at least from searches etc.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

fjutt wrote:To bra frank, the main reason for me to use Firefox is that it is made by Mozilla. A non-profit organization
"Provided of course, people believe in them"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ujRE2IkEIo
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Frank Lion wrote:Performance? Firefox 58 seems no faster* or more responsive than others I've tried, but is using a lot of RAM to do even what it does.
There are a bunch of improvements missing in 58:
Quantum DOM, WebRender, dynamic process priority, throttling of network requests.
Sorry for my poor English.