How to stop auto-play of videos on web pages?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
thoste

How to stop auto-play of videos on web pages?

Post by thoste »

How can I stop automatic playing of embedded videos immediately after loading a webpage?

Videos should only start when I click on a "play" button inside the video element

Thomas
Brummelchen

Re: How to stop auto-play of videos on web pages?

Post by Brummelchen »

flash block
or
disable html5 autoplay
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/

btw your fake user agent is not helpful on many sites, please reset it to prevent site errors!
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Another way is to go to about:config and search for media.autoplay.enabled and toggle it to False.
thoste

Post by thoste »

These settings disable video playing at all.

What I am searching is a way of disabling just the auto-play: So when a webpage is loaded no video should automatically start playing.

When I decide to view a video it should still be possible to click on the "play" button inside this video!

So again: Is there a way of prevent auto-playing but let the video be playable manually?
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

With media.autoplay.enabled set to False, I can get the video on YouTube to start playing if I hit the play button on the bottom-left of the player. What specific URL are you trying to play a video on?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

thoste wrote:These settings disable video playing at all. ... When I decide to view a video it should still be possible to click on the "play" button inside this video!
If you stick with the autoplay disabled setting, you'll just need to learn to work around its quirks. For example: on a "GIFV" video (e.g., Imgur) that has no controls bar, right-click the blank player area and choose Show Controls to get a play button.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

a thoste :

'Think I know what you mean - what I always do : I press the space bar on my keyboard and that stops the video (also stops the video somewhere in the middle).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MarkRH wrote:With media.autoplay.enabled set to False, I can get the video on YouTube to start playing if I hit the play button on the bottom-left of the player. What specific URL are you trying to play a video on?
Probably Vimeo or something, but it would be good to get proper information from people looking for help, rather than these blanket statements they do.

I use a media.autoplay.enabled toggle button on the statusbar and that gets around all the hurdles websites put in the way.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Happy wrote:I press the space bar on my keyboard and that stops the video (also stops the video somewhere in the middle)
That stops the playback, but does it also stop the download stream itself?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

therube wrote: That stops the playback, but does it also stop the download stream itself?
I may be wrong, but I think all the OP wants is to be able to keep the video from playing until he's good and ready to watch it/listen to it (?)