How to copy email contacts from old to new Laptop Win 10

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
gilloz

How to copy email contacts from old to new Laptop Win 10

Post by gilloz »

How do i go about transferring my TB email contacts (address book) from an old Windows 10 Laptop to a new Windows 10 Laptop? Both are 64-Bit Laptops. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Asus P5N-D; E8500; 8GB PC2-6400 DDR2
GeForce 9600 GSO 764MB; 610 W SLI/PSU
Win 7 64 Bit
DanRaisch

Re: How to copy email contacts from old to new Laptop Win 10

Post by DanRaisch »

If you have only the two default Thunderbird address books (Personal Address Book and Collected Addresses) you can just copy the two files with the extension .mab from the profile on the old system to the new. The two file names are abook.mab and history.mab.

If you have additional address books in Thunderbird, created manually or by imported data from other email clients or files, you could use the MoreFunctionsforAddressBook extension to import their respective .mab files into Thunderbird. Alternatively you can export the data from those additional address books to CSV or LDIF format files on the old system and then copy the files to the new and import the data into Thunderbird using its built in function.
gilloz

Post by gilloz »

Thanks DanRaisch for your response. I am familiar with the files you mentioned, but I do not know the pathway to get to those files. In Windows 7 found those files going to Local C:, Users, Gil, AppData, Roaming, Thunderbird, Profiles and the default file. What is the path for Windows 10?
Win 7 64 Bit
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Basically the same, apart from the "Gil" part, the Windows user ID element of the directory path.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder" will launch file explorer (or windows explorer if you are using an earlier version of Windows) at your current profile. That is the safest way to find your profile.
gilloz

Post by gilloz »

Thanks Dan Raisch and tanstaafl for your responses. I passed the information to my neighbor who was experiencing the problem and I am told that the situation has been solved. I suggested they join this forum so they could get resolution to problems in the future and eliminate the middle man, ME! Anyway, thanks guys.
Win 7 64 Bit
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.